Skip to main content

FWD Trucks

More
13 years 11 months ago #35876 by ray
FWD Trucks was created by ray
Here's a picture of FWD trucks outside one of their service centres that I received this morning. Might interest some-one.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 11 months ago #35877 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: FWD Trucks

Ray
GuddayM8

Gr8 Pix
Keep m Cummin

Spose tiz a Merican pic usein the word Gas n also drive n on the correct side of vehicle for a change!
The FWD on the right looks real modern with them thar Nu Matik tyres

Dunno how they ever gunna aford Gas @ 20 cents a gallon
LOL

Have U any dope on the pic where n when ?

Thanx in advance
Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #35878 by
Replied by on topic Re: FWD Trucks
Ray - Interesting pic. Menominee is a city in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. What I find interesting is that the trucks are RHD, when most of American vehicle production had switched to LHD by the middle of WW1.
However, it appears truck builders were the last to change over. Most American cars were LHD by 1913, following Henry Ford's decision to go wholly LHD in the new 1908 models. Cadillac converted to LHD with the new 1915 models.
LHD was pretty much the standard across all U.S. manufacturing by 1923 .. and only three manufacturers were still making RHD in 1922 .. Stutz, Locomobile, & Pierce Arrow.

The pneumatic tyres are also interesting. Pneumatic tyres for trucks, didn't appear until 1919-20, so this pic was taken after that date. I'd say the pneumatic tyres were a big feature of the photo shoot. I'd estimate probably around 1920-24 for a picture date.

The early FWD truck history .. www.oramagazine.com/pastissues/0503-issue/050312d-old-iron.html

The history of 4x4 vehicles .. www.dog-walker.us/4x4/4x4-204.htm

FWD commenced building cars initially (in 1912), but sales were very slow. The owners of the FWD company sold one of their vehicles to the U.S. Army in 1912 .. and the Army stripped the body off, and fitted a flatbed, and called it a 1 1/2 ton truck. This truck then performed very successfully under severe testing .. so much so, that the owners of the FWD company saw the light, and were galvanised into action, to build trucks.

There is mention of a KATO 4WD truck in the last website link. This name is not to be confused with the Japanese KATO company. KATO is an old American name, which has its origins in the town of Mankato, Minnesota.
The American Kato truck name, came from the Mankato town name.
Another American company, also called Kato (Kato Engineering, located in the same town) is the largest manufacturer of gensets in the world .. with most Caterpillar gensets using Kato alternators as standard fit.

Cheers - Ron.

More
13 years 11 months ago #35879 by Assessor
Replied by Assessor on topic Re: FWD Trucks
Neat old pic, love the wind up tippers they would be great on hourly hire!

13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #35880 by
Heh heh .. one of them would turn you into a proper council worker .. taking half an hr to unload .. ;D ;D

Now talking about antique tippers .. has anyone ever seen? .. or own? .. A McKay Shunt Tip?

Now, these are a REAL antique in the historic commercial vehicle world .. and I have never seen one in working order.

Where I DID come across one, was on an old gold mine, between Norseman and Kalgoorlie, in the early 1970's .. but it was past saving.

These tippers were made by H.V. McKay, and were the ducks gonads in the early 1930's.
They comprised a regular body with sides .. which sat on two sections of channel steel, mounted vertically on their edges (channels facing inwards, like this [ ] ) .. which were bolted to the truck chassis.
There were four rollers than ran in the U-shaped portion of the channel steel, and these were attached to the body, and bore the weight of it and the load.

There was a hand winch fitted to the channel frame, with a winding handle at the front, near the rear of the drivers door, from memory.
The idea was, you filled the body with the roadbase or whatever load you were shifting .. and then, when you were ready to dump .. you cranked the winch .. which pulled the body backwards on the rollers (via a cable slung around a pulley at the rear).
When the body reached about it's mid-point on the channel frame .. it merely "fell off" the back end of the channel frame (tipped over the mid-point) .. and you then drove forward, and presumably, shovelled any leftovers out .. :)

Once the body was empty, you then cranked the winch handle in the reverse direction .. which pulled the body back onto the truck, via another cable attached to the winch, directly .. and Bob's ya uncle .. you were right to go!
I seem to recall there was a latching mechanism to hold the body in place whilst travelling.

I've never seen, read, or even found out a single thing about these neat old hand-winched tippers .. and I wondered if any had survived, or if any museum featuring McKay items, had any on display? .. :-?

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 11 months ago #35881 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: FWD Trucks

LOL

Sorry Guyz
but me thinks JuanTrack over on the left has bin on the wackyBacca or bin smoke n the drapes again
LOL
fancy!
A winch to slide the body back when it would/could B all unloaded by a hand shovel
LOL
OK JuanTrack
We want evidense
Xhibit 'A' if U will
LOL
if not
Draw it out n animate it
LOL

Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

13 years 11 months ago #35882 by
Swish - I ain't about to try and draw or animate, the rusty/weathered timber remains, of something that I saw over 35 years ago .. and which took me half an hour to figger out how it worked .. :(

What I am sorry about is .. that I never thought to prise off the beaut big makers plate that proudly announced .. "H.V. McKAY SHUNT TIP" .. along with a heap of smaller detail, such as company name, logo, address, etc .. I'll wager someone else did later, though .. and it's taking pride of place in some garage .. :(

More
13 years 11 months ago #35883 by VicHung
Replied by VicHung on topic Re: FWD Trucks

Talking about FWD trucks.................................

http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz350/vicandval/FWD1.jpg?t=1287388368

http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz350/vicandval/FWD2.jpg?t=1287388368

http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz350/vicandval/FWD3.jpg?t=1287388368

More
13 years 11 months ago #35884 by Assessor
Replied by Assessor on topic Re: FWD Trucks
It may be a little off topic fellas but heres a link to the museum of victoria about the H.V.McKAY Collection of info!

museumvictoria.com.au/discoverycentre/in...-v-mckay-collection/

13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #35885 by
Good link, Assessor - thanks for that. Not many people know that H.V. McKay had a Sunshine Motor Car division .. before WW1! .. which built motor car bodies! .. :o

museumvictoria.com.au/collections/items/...ington-victoria-1911

museumvictoria.com.au/collections/items/...e-victoria-1910-1936

In addition to non-farm items such as the Shunt Tip, H.V. Mckay also built a towed road grader. I actually owned one of these .. but some low-life stole it! .. >:(

museumvictoria.com.au/collections/items/...unbury-victoria-1925

The only thing I haven't seen yet .. is a H.V. McKay ute, truck or semi-trailer! .. :D .. but I might be surprised again, one day!! .. :D

Time to create page: 0.583 seconds