Skip to main content

Children's books with good trucks in them

More
10 years 2 months ago #140597 by wedgetail84
Does anyone know of any young childrens's books featuring a good dose of truck pictures? My eldest (20 month old) son loves The Outback Mailman (Tom Kruse) which has good detail on his Leyland Badger and a ford blitz, but otherwise they're I can't find much. There's on in the UK about scammel pioneers but personified (got eyes and mouths) which I can't bear (thomas the tank engine sends me up the wall). He seems to like Just Trucks much at the moment but not so good as a story...

So what does a good truck driving dad read his boys?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
10 years 2 months ago #140598 by Swishy
A cheap investment .............. the truck bible

[img

Clikty ............ ClikClikClik

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
10 years 2 months ago #140599 by jeffo
We've always made our own books and puzzles for the kids and now for the grandkids.
Must be 20 puzzles we made for our kids and with 4-grandkids, there's plenty more to make.
The grandkids love the old puzzles that their dad played with and they're still in good condition as we used marine ply.
We start them with easy puzzles and they get more complex as the kids grow. By grade one they're into other things but you'll often still find them having a quiet play.
Very few photos unfortunately.
Farm scene painting is always a favourite.
[IMG

They each score a puzzle with their name.
[IMG

[IMG

More
10 years 2 months ago #140600 by wedgetail84
Love the puzzles! Good idea - where did you get the paintings (no way could I do something like that).

Swishy - he'd love deals on wheels... You reckon it beats just trucks? Still not much of a narrative though!

More
10 years 2 months ago #140601 by dieseldog
Wedge, its so good to see you taking an interest in your child's education. I have two kids, a girl, 4, and a boy of 2 and they're just like their dad, with an insatiable desire to learn new things. They both love Deals on Wheels, Just Trucks and whatever tractor magazines they find. That takes care of the theory side.

To follow on the little fella watches YouTube with me, checking out all the screaming Detroits, tractor pulling and truck shows. Then he learns all of the important words like Detroit Diesel, John Deere, Roadranger, Kenworth and so on.

The girl helps her old man out, fetching tools, passing me bolts and getting enough grease on her clothes to clog up mums washing machine. She asks lots of questions about how and why things work, and I give her lots of answers, even if she can't understand them because I know she will think about it.

Once a week, they get a field trip into town. The highlight is pulling up along side a truck at the lights with the windows down and listening to the turbo spooling up and the driver rounding off some gears as he pulls away from the lights. A little further along we get our eardrums shaken out as the jakebrake roars at the little rice burner that has run pulled in front of the truck at the red light. There is always lots of ooh's and ahh's. I even shed a tear when my little girl starts singing along with Eastbound and Down on the radio.

At the end of the day, their reward for being such good little tykes is to snuggle up in bed with dad, watching great movies like Smokey and the Bandit and Black Dog.

In all seriousness though, I haven't really found much in the way of educational toys and books of this persuasion. I find just taking them with me to work or wherever and showing them everything I can and getting them to help me with simple tasks seems to hit the spot. DD

More
10 years 2 months ago #140602 by dieseldog
Just a thought with the puzzle idea, when I was a kid, mum made us puzzles by gluing a poster to a piece of cardboard and cutting it up into irregular shapes. Always kept us happy.

More
10 years 2 months ago #140603 by fxs80
Try finding a book called Fatty the ratrod. It is written by a Aussie for kids. Cheers

1939 D2

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #140604 by ray
Fatty the Rat Rod is available either through the HCVC or look it up on Google and order it from the authors (Mitch and Anne) I'll push it as Mitch is my cousin!!

[IMG
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by ray.

More
10 years 2 months ago #140605 by jeffo
For puzzles, I do the cutting on the scroll saw, wife has the artistic skills and does the art work.
Lately I've got lazy and bought puzzles from Nextra for about $2. Beautifully made and machine cut so the pieces can be turned over and another puzzle drawn on the back. We did a cheap one using an image from the laser printer glued onto the puzzle then cut into pieces with a stencil cutter. Not the best as the edges peeled back.
So now we sand off the Nextra image and wifey paints her scenes on both sides of the puzzle. Kids get 2 for one.
That painting of the farm scene was just on a cheap canvas from $2 land.
But with today's technology you can get your favourite photo or whatever screen printed onto a canvas, might be another option.

More
10 years 2 months ago #140606 by wedgetail84
Thanks guys, Fatty looks like a good book will order that one!

Wedge, its so good to see you taking an interest in your child's education. I have two kids, a girl, 4, and a boy of 2 and they're just like their dad, with an insatiable desire to learn new things. They both love Deals on Wheels, Just Trucks and whatever tractor magazines they find. That takes care of the theory side.

To follow on the little fella watches YouTube with me, checking out all the screaming Detroits, tractor pulling and truck shows. Then he learns all of the important words like Detroit Diesel, John Deere, Roadranger, Kenworth and so on.

The girl helps her old man out, fetching tools, passing me bolts and getting enough grease on her clothes to clog up mums washing machine. She asks lots of questions about how and why things work, and I give her lots of answers, even if she can't understand them because I know she will think about it.

Once a week, they get a field trip into town. The highlight is pulling up along side a truck at the lights with the windows down and listening to the turbo spooling up and the driver rounding off some gears as he pulls away from the lights. A little further along we get our eardrums shaken out as the jakebrake roars at the little rice burner that has run pulled in front of the truck at the red light. There is always lots of ooh's and ahh's. I even shed a tear when my little girl starts singing along with Eastbound and Down on the radio.

At the end of the day, their reward for being such good little tykes is to snuggle up in bed with dad, watching great movies like Smokey and the Bandit and Black Dog.

In all seriousness though, I haven't really found much in the way of educational toys and books of this persuasion. I find just taking them with me to work or wherever and showing them everything I can and getting them to help me with simple tasks seems to hit the spot. DD

Sounds great DD - just how mine are heading! Well the watching youtube clips of detroits and general truck obsessions anyway. Don't get to town much but he loves to go for a drive in the old inter every now and again... Looking forward to when he can actually get under it with me and 'help'

Time to create page: 0.485 seconds