Skip to main content

1946 GMC ute

More
18 hours 22 minutes ago - 18 hours 20 minutes ago #253928 by Lang
1946 GMC ute was created by Lang
The next project has started. I sadly had to sell my 1946 Chevrolet ute project to fund the England to Australia Bean project but that is now dead and gone so I am picking up where I left off.

I bought a similar 1946 GMC ute in Kadina SA and had a quick 4 day trip from Brisbane to pick it up (just love that Navara STX 550 V6 power). Looks like a good project, amazingly original and totally rust free with original 1946 number plates still on it.

It has a 1955 235 engine recently fitted. It can not be identified by 99% of people from the original 216 but an extra 30hp and full oil pressure feed.. Unfortunately the seller was robbed blind by a restoration company who just kept sending him bills. Amongst their many sins they fitted a huge late model Chevrolet truck 4 speed gearbox in place of the original little three speed. I have not lifted the lid but guess it is a full crash or constant mesh box. I don't want to drive a truck. The idiots then realised the box was about 6 inches longer than the original in a vehicle with a torque tube.

What did they do? Take 6 inches out of the torque tube, a few hours work?. No they loosened the rear axle and slid it 6 inches back on the springs pushing the wheels back under the guards. Absolutely bloody criminal for a professional organisation.

Anyhow my project is now to find a normal gearbox and convert the torque tube to open drive shaft. This is easier than trying to adapt the torque tube to a modern gearbox. A Hilux or Navara rear axle should fit OK with the main feature being the same wheel stud pattern as the GMC.

So looking for advice on what gearbox (with our without adapter) will fit on the stovebolt 6 engine. I did convert a T5 box onto my similar 1945 Chevrolet in America which I    took to Normandy which took 2 hours but I can not find a front stick T5 in Australia. They are one of the most common boxes but only the American Chevrolet S10 pickup had this arrangement all the others have the gearstick so far back it would be under the seat.

Also for sale is the reportedly overhauled Chevrolet truck gearbox to fit any truck from late 30's to early 60's I guess. 4 speed.

Photo of my ute and somebody elses ute in South Australia that is nicely restored.

• Last edit: 18 hours 20 minutes ago by Lang.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Normanby, overlander, 77louie400, PaulFH, wee-allis

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
    16 hours 56 minutes ago #253929 by V8Ian
    Replied by V8Ian on topic 1946 GMC ute
    Lang, early Land Cruisers (FJ 45 & 55) had Chev clone petrol engines, the gearboxes were three or four speed, depending on year. Worth exploring if those bellhouses bolt up to your motor.
    I doubt you'd find one of these 'boxes on every second street corner, but they'd have to be easier to find than a 1940s Chev unit.

More
    12 hours 49 minutes ago #253932 by Lang
    Replied by Lang on topic 1946 GMC ute
    The problem with them is they have bolt-on transfer cases and it requires engineering to make 2WD adapter.

More
    10 hours 41 minutes ago #253937 by Mrsmackpaul
    Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic 1946 GMC ute
    Dunno about bell housings and bolt patterns
    Marks 4x4 made bellhousings for small block chev to Toyota Dyna, you could also buy a adapter to fit the cruiser transfer case to the Dyna 5 speed

Anyway, the Dyna has a really good overdrive and is already 2wd

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

Time to create page: 0.445 seconds