Skip to main content

1946 GMC ute

More
2 days 1 hour ago - 2 days 1 hour ago #253928 by Lang
1946 GMC ute was created by Lang
The next project has started. I sadly had to sell my 1946 Chevrolet ute project to fund the England to Australia Bean project but that is now dead and gone so I am picking up where I left off.

I bought a similar 1946 GMC ute in Kadina SA and had a quick 4 day trip from Brisbane to pick it up (just love that Navara STX 550 V6 power). Looks like a good project, amazingly original and totally rust free with original 1946 number plates still on it.

It has a 1955 235 engine recently fitted. It can not be identified by 99% of people from the original 216 but an extra 30hp and full oil pressure feed.. Unfortunately the seller was robbed blind by a restoration company who just kept sending him bills. Amongst their many sins they fitted a huge late model Chevrolet truck 4 speed gearbox in place of the original little three speed. I have not lifted the lid but guess it is a full crash or constant mesh box. I don't want to drive a truck. The idiots then realised the box was about 6 inches longer than the original in a vehicle with a torque tube.

What did they do? Take 6 inches out of the torque tube, a few hours work?. No they loosened the rear axle and slid it 6 inches back on the springs pushing the wheels back under the guards. Absolutely bloody criminal for a professional organisation.

Anyhow my project is now to find a normal gearbox and convert the torque tube to open drive shaft. This is easier than trying to adapt the torque tube to a modern gearbox. A Hilux or Navara rear axle should fit OK with the main feature being the same wheel stud pattern as the GMC.

So looking for advice on what gearbox (with our without adapter) will fit on the stovebolt 6 engine. I did convert a T5 box onto my similar 1945 Chevrolet in America which I    took to Normandy which took 2 hours but I can not find a front stick T5 in Australia. They are one of the most common boxes but only the American Chevrolet S10 pickup had this arrangement all the others have the gearstick so far back it would be under the seat.

Also for sale is the reportedly overhauled Chevrolet truck gearbox to fit any truck from late 30's to early 60's I guess. 4 speed.

Photo of my ute and somebody elses ute in South Australia that is nicely restored.

• Last edit: 2 days 1 hour ago by Lang.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: eerfree, Normanby, overlander, 77louie400, PaulFH, roKWiz, wee-allis

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
    2 days 12 minutes ago #253929 by V8Ian
    Replied by V8Ian on topic 1946 GMC ute
    Lang, early Land Cruisers (FJ 45 & 55) had Chev clone petrol engines, the gearboxes were three or four speed, depending on year. Worth exploring if those bellhouses bolt up to your motor.
    I doubt you'd find one of these 'boxes on every second street corner, but they'd have to be easier to find than a 1940s Chev unit.

More
    1 day 20 hours ago #253932 by Lang
    Replied by Lang on topic 1946 GMC ute
    The problem with them is they have bolt-on transfer cases and it requires engineering to make 2WD adapter.

More
    1 day 17 hours ago #253937 by Mrsmackpaul
    Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic 1946 GMC ute
    Dunno about bell housings and bolt patterns
    Marks 4x4 made bellhousings for small block chev to Toyota Dyna, you could also buy a adapter to fit the cruiser transfer case to the Dyna 5 speed

Anyway, the Dyna has a really good overdrive and is already 2wd

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
    1 day 5 hours ago #253944 by roKWiz
    Replied by roKWiz on topic 1946 GMC ute
    Nice project. I reckon Dellow and Rod Hatfield would have bellhousings to suit similar vintage swaps.

MrsMack, if the Dyna I'm thinking of is the same as the Daihatsu of the same (85-95) era, they had a great overdrive but 3rd and 4th felt like they needed an extra gear between. You either ran up a long hill totally wiping your speed to slowly climb in 3rd, or try and lug the bloody thing up in 4th..
    Hopefully they improved after that time.

Heritage Stonemason
    In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
    1 day 5 hours ago - 1 day 3 hours ago #253947 by Lang
    Do you have a contact for Rod or Dellow in your records?

Cancel request - found them.
    Last edit: 1 day 3 hours ago by Lang.

More
    1 day 3 hours ago #253950 by Morris
    Replied by Morris on topic 1946 GMC ute
    Lang,
    Dellow is Dellowconversions.com.au
    37 Daisy Street, Revesby, NSW 2212
    02 9774 3873 or 02 9774 4419

Rod Hadfield (Not Hatfield)
    is Castlemaine Rod Shop
    37 Blakeley Road
    Castlemaine, Vic. 3450
    or Rod Hadfield Museum,
    Chewton, Vic.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
    my nose to the grindstone,
    I've put my best foot forward,
    I've put my back into it,
    I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
    The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
    1 day 3 hours ago #253951 by Lang
    Thanks Morris, just talked to him but he can not help.

More
    23 hours 27 minutes ago #253956 by cobbadog
    Replied by cobbadog on topic 1946 GMC ute
    Years back I dealt with Jeff Dellow of then Dellow Adaptors. Great products

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
    Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
    Working on more play time.

More
    21 hours 57 minutes ago - 21 hours 42 minutes ago #253959 by Lang
    Well, never jump to conclusions!

I could not get the suspicion out of my mind that the gearbox may have been something other than a crash box no matter how huge it is. Doing what I should have done before launching off into a replacement mission I lifted the lid and there before me lay helical gears and synchros!

A bit of research and I find I have a Muncie SM420. It appears this box is the box of choice for anyone building a period light/medium truck 40/50/60 period and highly sought after.. A few minor changes were made to turn it into the SM465 from 1968 to 1991 (mainly adjusting gear ratios for the more powerful engines in the later trucks and pickups.) I will only be using 3 gears as it has a massive 7.9:1 crawler first.

This is a financially joyous discovery and I can now plunge on with the more mundane parts of the restoration. I can just cut 6 inches out of the torque tube to get the axle back in the correct position.

Thanks to those who gave me some ideas.

• Last edit: 21 hours 42 minutes ago by Lang.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Mrsmackpaul, Normanby, PaulFH, asw120, Southbound, wee-allis, oliver1950

Time to create page: 0.647 seconds