Skip to main content

Inter AL-160

More
14 years 5 months ago #25582 by ccpascoe
Inter AL-160 was created by ccpascoe
I'm new to this and have just bought an AL-160 can somebody give me some information about them or some photos. Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago #25583 by cribotow
Replied by cribotow on topic Re: Inter AL-160
welcome ccp lets see some pics of this unit thats what we thrive on here, go to forum faq,s and follow the directions,google is good place to start for info and ebay for books and manuals,most later mechanical parts fit the AL series and the AR models are almost the same,i would think rust will be your biggest task.........we wait to see pics ;D

&&Grasp

More
14 years 5 months ago #25584 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: Inter AL-160
I have an AR160. Basically the difference is the grill and position of instruments in the cab. The mechanicals are identical.
There were 3 sizes 160, 161 and 162. The difference is the rated capacity and is displayed on a plate on left side of the firewall of the cab under the bonnet. Outside all sizes were badged as AL 160 series or AR 160 series. the 162 had an electric 2-speed diff.
I have a manual but it is out on loan at the moment as the AS series only had a supplement to the AL/AR Series manual.

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
14 years 5 months ago #25585 by ccpascoe
Replied by ccpascoe on topic Re: Inter AL-160
Thanks for that. I have taken some pictures and will post soon. It's actually a 162. I'm still having trouble finding the history of the AL 's but still persevering. Any advice will be greatfully accepted.

More
14 years 5 months ago - 14 years 5 months ago #25586 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: Inter AL-160
AL series released in 1950 and replaced in 1953 by the AR Series.

The other information I have is:
- built by IH in Dandenong,
- the cabs were built by Richards in Adelaide and rail freighted over.
- The engines were cast in IH's tractor factory in Geelong. (hence A onthe engine number prefix)
- I have been told variously that the engines were assembled in Geelong or Dandenong.
- The markings on my chassis rail indicate the rails were made by Sankey in Sydney
- I am not sure where the actual chassis was assembled but would guess Dandenong
- the chassis number is on the outside of the left hand chassis rail in front of the front wheel.
- the first 6 letters/numbers of the engine can decode what it is. If it is the original engine it will start ASD240. A= Australian, SD = Silver Diamond, 240 is the size of the engine in cubic inches.

- The engines have a reputation for burning valves. According to some IH mechanics who worked on them (one of whom was in charge of authorising warranty claims for South East South Australia) when adjusted according to the specs there is a tappet noise but no problems. If you adjust to get rid of the noise you will burn valves as the valves stetch when hot.

Also manuals do appear on eBay, there will be none for a while, then one pops up and goes for around $300 and is followed by others that sell for $30 to $50.

I hope this brain dump helps

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
Last edit: 14 years 5 months ago by bparo.

More
14 years 5 months ago #25587 by ccpascoe
Replied by ccpascoe on topic Re: Inter AL-160
Thanks a lot that helps heaps. I've posted the photos(I think) at img440.imageshack.us/g/p1012713.jpg/

I hope it worked !!

More
14 years 5 months ago #25588 by wouldyou
Replied by wouldyou on topic Re: Inter AL-160
Hello CCP, We have had these trucks, both AL 160's, good willing trucks.
Inters came out with slo-roto exhaust valves for burning probs, flat collets and a cap to release them from stem when opening.
The starter had a centre bush, if worn armature could touch fields.
An extra 2 volt battery gave faster starts and brighter lights.
After an initial rebore to fit back to standard cylinder sleeves, kits were available for subsequent rebuilds.
AL162 GVW 17,000 pounds-7.71 tonnes.
Wheel base 154 & 172 inches.
Max Brake Horse Power 108 @ 3600 rpm.
Tyres 825-20, 10 ply.
Diff ratios 6.33 & 8.81 to 1
Regards David

More
1 month 1 week ago #252924 by Foxy
Replied by Foxy on topic Re: Inter AL-160
are the workshop manuals still avalible

More
1 month 1 week ago #252929 by 180wannabe
Replied by 180wannabe on topic Re: Inter AL-160
There is an AL & AR Line Service Manual listed on ebay at the moment.  Item number 226261458553.

Brett.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
1 month 2 days ago #253017 by Foxy
Replied by Foxy on topic Re: Inter AL-160
The only bad bit of rust 
  • The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Time to create page: 0.468 seconds