Skip to main content

Search Results (Searched for: semi trailer bus)

26 Nov 2012 08:16
Replied by ronhorse on topic A few old pictures

Tuit's new Foden bus and trailer after we took it off the Ghan, this unit replaced my job of taking a semi load of mail to Larimah with the old, and I mean OLD semi's :'(
06 Nov 2012 11:47
Replied by Swishy on topic USA army trailer ?

Lang
Gudday M8

Peninsula bus lines had more than one articulated bus th@ ran the troops down to Portsea n back on RnR
the White in the pic th@ looks like taken @ Rye on the Mornington Peninsula Looks 2 B a White WC 18 or 20
Where by the olmans twaz a White WC22 me thinks

Here B sum other rare beastiez

Cya

[ch9787]
05 Nov 2012 08:58 - 05 Nov 2012 10:04
Replied by Lang on topic USA army trailer ?
Steve,

From "USA Standard Military Motor Vehicles" 1943

These trailers were built by numerous manufacturers but yours looks like a Keystone one. The Freuhauf trailer is almost exactly the same but the drop from the turntable is rounded instead of sharp corners like the Keystone.

Other manufacturers were:
Miller
Black Diamond
Dorsey
Highway
Kingham
Strick
Utility
Winter-Weise
Truck Eng.
Hobbs
Hyde
Watson
American Body

And no doubt several others.

They mostly had dollys with them as the Army had lots of trucks with tow hooks but not many prime movers. Of course there were many dedicated semi-trailers as well.

The basic trailers are all the same but had different doors and fitout according to use.

Some uses described in the US Army manual are: Semitrailers, Instrument Shop, 8-ton Gross - this is almost exactly like yours.

Semitrailers, Map Reproduction Equipment Van, 10-ton gross. Semitrailers, Field Shop Repair, 10-ton gross.
and so on: Laundry, Mobile Records, Photographic Laboratory,Shoe Repair, Sterilizer and bath, Technical Supply, Textile repair, Combination Animal and cargo, Clothing repair, etc etc

Here is one some keen operator has turned into a bus.

Lang
02 Nov 2012 20:50
Dodge fan

Semi Licenced
HCVC Member

Re: Transport names from yesterday..
Reply #118 - 31.10.2012 at 22:21:06 Oh, and Smorgans who ran old pommie stuff carting paper.
Billy

Hi Dodge Fan,
I did my apprenticeship at Smorgons at the Sommerville Rd factory in West Footscray,starting in 1971. They had some classic gear alright,not to mention their cars. Old Leylands, an old Commer Knocker, and they also had an old Dodge prime mover, although I'm not sure of the model. They used to call it 'The Monster' and the driver at the time was a guy by the name of Alan Jones. Smorgon's only carted the paper locally and the interstate was done by subbies. Eventually Norm Brown - BNB Freighters - got the contract to cart most of the interstate scrap paper and reels. Norm sold the business back to Smorgons if I remember correctly and got himself into trailer repairs for a while. The 'B' in BNB was Norm's son who passed away around 3 years ago and Norm also passed away not too long ago.Norm's road manager was Barry Daldy who passed away a couple of weeks ago from cancer. We had a memorial service for him last Sunday at the top of Pretty Sally to spread his ashes,at his request. Barry said he should have bought it on Pretty Sally 100 times when he used to slip his old 760V8 Dodge into angel and send her off the top. Give him a wave next time you go passed. Cheers Little Cab
28 Oct 2012 09:17
Hi OD, yeah there was only one Dodge owned by him, I think I heard somewhere along the line that four came to Australia (might've already said that), anyway Max has often spoken about Jimmy Hamburger, I'm pretty sure he was the guy who used to load and unload Max's trailers for him with the Dodge. When he semi retired he said that he needed a truck for his farm and Max gave him the Dodge to use, knowing how well he had maintained and driven it. When Jimmy got sick he and max decided to pass it on to a museum. They first contacted the Sydney Truck & Bus Museum but they weren't interested due to a lack of room (and probably because it only held one passenger ;D) so it went to Alice. It's a really unique truck.

Thanks for your comments, not much will happen with the Kenworth until the Hume run is over next year but I'll be collecting parts and making a plan of attack in the meantime :)
17 Aug 2012 20:12
HI ALL,
YOU MAY HAVE NOTICED I AM RESEARCHING THE HISTORY OF THE McGRATH TRAILERS, AND MY INVESTIGATIONS HAVE UNCOVERED A LINK TO THE FRUEHAUF COMPANY.
THE FRUEHAUF BLACKSMITH BUSINESS WAS STARTED BY AUGUST FRUEHAUF IN 1882 AND IN 1914 HE WAS ASKED TO BUILD A CONTRAPTION TO HOOK UP TO A T-MODEL FORD TO HAUL A BOAT, THE BLACKSMITHS BUILT A STURDY TWO WHEELER, CONECTED BY A LONG POLE THAT ACTED AS A CONECTION AND A BRAKE AND CALLED IT A TRAILER. THE NEXT TRAILER BUILT WAS A PLATFORM TRAILER FOR CARTING SAWN TIMBER, FRUEHAUF TRAILERS WAS NOW ESTABLISHED AS ADDITIONAL ORDERS BEGAN WITH A RUSH.
ON FEBRUARY 27th 1918 THE FRUEHAUF TRAILER COMPANY WAS INCORPORATED.
IN 1929, JUST AS J.J. McGRATH WAS OPENING HIS TRAILER BUILDING COMPANY, FRUEHAUF TRAILER SALES EXCEEDED $ 3,759,000.
ANY INFORMATION ABOUT THIS COMPANY AND / OR IT'S TRAILERS WOULD BE VERY INTERESTING.
REGARDS BILL

PS. SEE McGRATH TRAILERS TOPIC
14 Jul 2012 13:20
HI ALL,
AFTER FOLLOWING UP A FEW GOOD LEADS, I AM NOW LOOKING FOR INFORMATION ABOUT;
M.McGRATH and HIS BUSINESS AT 484 GEELONG ROAD, WEST FOOTSCRAY OPPOSITE THE FOOTSCRAY CEMETARY, AND THE POSSIBLE RELOCATION TO THE NEW CENTRE AT DEER PARK, APPROX DATE 1951 ONWARDS.
THIS COMPANY WERE MANUFACTURERS OF THE NEW McGRATH TRAILERS AND SEMI-TRAILERS.

THANK YOU, BILL.
03 Jul 2012 22:53

HI ALL,
I have just been admiring trevors ( slospeed ) current restoration, which aswell as being a work of art, is also very informative and interesting.
BUT does he know that J.J. Mcgrath did an exclusive business deal with INTERNATIONAL TRUCKS to provide the semi-trailers for their new trucks. With requests for information in two magazines, the Weekly Times and this forum, I am now starting to get some great contacts, information and locations of old McGRATH trailers.
Please keep spreading the word regards BILL.

Bill

Thanks, if you can find me a 1926/27 mcgrath trailer i would be very interested in turning one of my toys into a semi, would love to see some pictures of them.

Trevor
03 Jul 2012 19:26
HI ALL,
I have just been admiring trevors ( slospeed ) current restoration, which aswell as being a work of art, is also very informative and interesting.
BUT does he know that J.J. Mcgrath did an exclusive business deal with INTERNATIONAL TRUCKS to provide the semi-trailers for their new trucks. With requests for information in two magazines, the Weekly Times and this forum, I am now starting to get some great contacts, information and locations of old McGRATH trailers.
Please keep spreading the word regards BILL.
18 Jun 2012 18:02
HI ALL,

The history of Australia's pioneer trailer builder and designer, John McGrath began in Melbourne where he was born in 1900. At 29 years of age he began his trailer business, in East Brunswick, Melbourne that would continue until 1984.
It was stated in 1959 that McGRATH TRAILERS Pty Ltd manufacture more semi-trailers than any other trailer manufacturer in Australia.
The McGRATH Trailers story is a fasinating one, and forms a great part of Australia's road transport history, I am but, an interested historian, trying to put to-gether a story for others to enjoy,many, many long hours of research will be required to achieve this.

THANK YOU TO THOSE WHO ARE HELPING ME !

BILL
25 May 2012 21:10 - 25 May 2012 21:25
Replied by bigcam on topic * * * Manure Happenz * * *
There goes that theory, any clues on how else to search the story?
Allan, that article most definatly verifies the story, along with everyone else recollections of seeing it on the news. The article only states 2 tonnes though, not quite a semi-trailer load.

I'm feeling a bit one tracked here, here a bit out off the web-

Accidental explosions
Although relatively stable in isolation and when handled and stored carefully, ammonium nitrate will support combustion initiated in another material. Its oxidising quality will intensify a fire, even in the absence of air. When subjected to sufficient heat, ammonium nitrate becomes molten, extremely sensitive to impact, and will detonate, as demonstrated by the following major accidents:

16 Apr 2012 04:39
Replied by ronhorse on topic A few odd pictures
, lioght toift
My brother and I did a stint at the Woomera rocket Range, run by the LRWE, (Long range weapons establishment) There were only about a dozen of us civilians employed there as drivers,. everyone else was Military. On a long weekend we would head for Adelaide as the town wasn't too exiting for young single guy's to whoop it up like the big smoke, as one wag put it, "had a great time, didn't see daylight for 3 days" The Government always had us bring back new Holden utes, we put them through their trials having races and roaring through the bush, it always amused us to see the officials driving them at a steady 30 mph to RUN them in!!My brother and I were given off-road vehicles as we had bush driving experience, they were Commer superpoise and Austin 3 ton 4x4 trucks. I would go out to bring back a rocket guided by a small plane to it's location taking a scientist with me, what a bundle of laughs they were!!! The rockets were small,our 8 feet by 8 inches, light to lift having used their fuel.
When they set off the A bomb an English crew flew a Canbera Jet with cannisters attatched to the wings through the cloud to collect samples of the air, my brother and I met them on their return at the airfield with semi trailer water tankers and detergent to wash the plane off, it was bristling with heat, they had all the openings on the plane covered with masking tape!! some protection! We rigged up a shower for them and burned their uniforms in an open 44 gallon drum, cold as charity in the breeze, the crew immediately flew back to England, I was ironing a shirt in my room when they flew about 4 feet above the town , scared the h :'(ell out of me, I dropped to the floor, don't blame them, they retired them but they only lived about a year, so much for Government taking care of it's own!!
20 Mar 2012 18:36
They were around Sydney in the early 60's I went to Jenolan Caves in one with a load of scouts from the jamboree at Lansdowne :D :D - now that was an interesting trip in a semi trailer bus. The Jenolan rd was not what it is today and they still have to lock it off for coaches!!
10 Mar 2012 05:53
Replied by ronhorse on topic building a prime mover

Waiting here at Larimah for the train to come down from Darwin with the Southbound mail, I always took the drivers door off in the summer to let the heat out and a breeze in, don't know what the safety Police would have thought of that! This was around '56 when len Tuit had sold his freight shares in the TTA and just consentrated on passengers and mail, we had 3 semi's, 2 Gardners and this KS6 petrol engined, Mechanic Billie Jeffery would get whichever one he thought would make the trip, the 2 Gardners eventually died and I just used the K6 which I prefered anyway.
I would leave Alice Saturday evening with a full trailer load of mail to link up with the Mt Isa bus at Tennant Sunday morning, needless to say I often didn't make it! I would load the mail on the Bud car at Larimah and wait 4 days until the train came back from Darwin with the southbound mail, oddly enough just like Kurt Johannsen did before the war, I used to stay in one of the unused railway cottages, there were only about 12-15 bags of mail from Darwin, guess they didn't write much. I used to carry a large tucker box with me, mates knew of this and would hit me up for a meal when we met on the road as meals were only available at hotel's at proper hours, no cafes on the road. One night I really fancied a mess of fried onions, terrified that someone would come along and I would have to share it, I drove off the road about half a mile to a bore I knew of , thought I was getting a bit paranoid! George Skinner, who drove a B61 for Ted Stiles once pulled his semi across the road to make sure I stopped to feed him, complained of a bad back and needed a couple of tyres repaired, came in like the tide of course but didn't work the next time! One evening at Larimah some blacks came over to me and asked me if I could take about a dozen 20 miles up the road to another tribe, I did this, turned around and boiled the billie for tea, about an hour later they came belting out of the bush shouting "go go" so I took them back. Next morning the Hotel and Post office were buzzing about a big fight up the road with some badly injured, they wanted to know how they got in and out so quick, I kept quiet and the blacks said nothing so it remained a mystery! ;)
16 Feb 2012 10:39
Replied by oldfulla on topic First drive
I'll tell about getting my licence.

Lived in a couuntry town in Cent Qld - and on the day of my 17th Birthday (was really 17) I wandered down to the cop shop at lunch time (on a Wednesday) to get my official brief to say I could drive.

Snr Const Custard Guts (Allan Cunningham) was on duty, and marched me out for the driving test - only to discover I hadnt bought a car with me. So he put me behind the wheel of the squad car (an XT Falcon I think) and directed me to take him to the local cafe to pick up his lunch (probably a free one).

That was it - to the cafe and return - total of about 3 blocks each way. I dont recall there being any 'questions' involved in the test - and I left with my little creamy coloured card with the 'car' & 'truck' (boxes ticked - an X actually as they were done up on a type writer in those times).

'Truck' covered all versions of a 'rigid' as we know then now. There was no difference between a 'light & heavy' rigid.

In the next few days I had a chat to a new copper to town (Const Alan Hayes) who had joined a sporting team I was in - about 'up grading' my brief to semi trailer std. He suggested I probably should allow a week between first getting my licience and the up-grade.

I could wait that long - so we set a date on the spot - the up-coming Wednesday - at lunch time. It was also agreed that bringing a semi trailer with me wouldnt be necessary.

Wednesday lunch time I rolled up (wandered down on foot actually) and the good Constable was there as planned. "Give me your licience and we'll do the endorsment". Into the pocket I dove - to find (with serious embaressment) that I had forgot to bring it.

So off home at a trot I went - and was back in a flash. But not quite quick enough as in the mean time Const Hayes had gone on lunch.

So I imparted my story to the new chum (another new cop to town who I had never seen let alone know) on the counter. After a bit of uming and areing he took my word and proceeded to put the licience in the typewriter to do the 'endorsment' (which was just a note on the back to say I now qualified for the up-grade).

Once all set up he asked - "now what are we doing it for"? 'A Road Train' I replied with a bit of a quiver in the voice. From memory - the classifications were:
A = Car, B = Motor Bike, C = Rigid Truck, D = Articulated Veh (Semi Trailer) and E = Road Train (Multi Articulated Veh) and then there was Tractor and Bus (F & G).

My request met with a bit of a raised eyebrow and no typeing. At that exact momment one of the local owner driver cattle carters walked in the door to get a permit to move a load.

The copper looked up and asked the guy (Barney Harrison) whether he thought I could drive a Road Train.

Quick as a flash Barney offered a glowing reference as to my ability to do just that. At that stage in life I knew him by name and sight - but had never actual met him OR driven his truck. To this day I have no idea as to what he realy knew about me - but he sure gave the right answer.

Out I walked (a little late back from lunch) with my 'E' Class endorsment.

That Friday night I hit out after work in a 160 Cummins powered C line Inter with a 36 ft lead trailer with a 40ft dog behind - headed 450 klm up the drit road to Charters Towers with 80 weaners on board. With a 2 hour camp included I was back home 34 odd hours later.

A couple of years on I was getting married and leaving town at the same time - headed for the coast. I had mated up with another cop at that stage and we were all sitting around the back yard on wedding day - after cleaning and decorating the wedding cars. When - it dawned on me that I might need a Motor Bike brief in a big city.

So down we went to the (closed) cop shop, and I got the little creamy card added to - for a Motor Bike, Tractor and Bus.

All was fine until the Govt introduced the National Heavy Truck Licience - and everything had to be changed over to the new classifications. I think they were taking the oppitunity to 'thin out' some of the liciences from the old era - and to maintain all my endorsments I had to present a 'reference' that said I was still competent and employed in a job that required me to need all the boxes ticked. Didn't take long to round up the required references - with the guys I approached having pre-prepared letters in their office draw - that just need a name inserted.

Oldfulla 8-) ;)

Displaying 166 - 180 out of 271 results.
Time to create page: 2.400 seconds