Skip to main content

Hi, New here and new to Vintage trucks

More
10 years 1 month ago #142433 by Oldcarhauler
Hi Everyone,

I just joined the forum after purchasing a 1950 Austin Loadstar that I am going to restore and improve where I can.

I am hoping to have the truck back home next week so I can have a good look over it and see what it needs to at least get it running.

Does anyone know of one that is being wrecked or is beyond restoration around South East Queensland/ Northern New South Wales? I am looking for the front windscreen and a diff centre at the moment, preferably a 2 speed rear.

Here is a quick photo I have of it at the moment, Will get some more when I get it home and get a good look around it.

[IMG

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #142434 by Sarge
Welcome Oldcarcarta, its a nice place to play. I am way too far south for parts but there are plenty around down here, and a good starter project.

someone nearer will be able to help I am sure

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #142435 by Bugly
Welcome to the forum 'hauler!! Nothing at all wrong with quality British steel! Even the Yankee iron followers are envious of it but are too shy to come out of the closets!! ::) ::)

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Bugly.

More
10 years 1 month ago #142436 by Scratchbuilt
It's old and neat.

I helped to restore one of these once and it's still used on the odd occasion out on his farm. Doesn't miss a beat.

More
10 years 1 month ago #142437 by Lang
Discussed on a recent thread. All you need to do for the screens is draw a stencil of the hole on a sheet of cardboard or light plywood and Windscreens O'Brien or other glass place will cut them for you.

It looks like that screen will just take caravan type rubbers (which the glass place can supply) to fit but you will probably get a nicer profile from Jacksons or even the local rubber shop.

Lang

More
10 years 1 month ago #142438 by geoffb
There still seems to be a few of these lurking around so should be able to find parts

More
10 years 1 month ago #142439 by spinnerboy
I'll second the Windscreens O'Brien, they did my 1950 Ford screens-brilliant! They even etch the Aust Standards info onto the glass- I highly recommend their service.

More
10 years 1 month ago #142440 by mammoth
1st up get yourself to the Rocklea show this coming weekend (see events page) and join up with one of the two Brisbane based clubs. Better than good chance there will be some Austin experts there even if there is no loadstar. Joining the club will get you networked into the SE Qld scene.

More
10 years 1 month ago #142441 by prodrive
Welcome to the forum, old car bloke!
Hey your "old car hauler" name interested me- i reckon you should tell us the story about that? Is that something you used to do (in which case, got any photos?) or is it something you are planning to do? (in which case, let us know what you plan for the old girl!)
I'm a bit partial to a good story....
Cheers!
Richard

More
10 years 1 month ago #142442 by Oldcarhauler
Hi Everyone, Thanks for the welcomes.

The old car hauler name was picked cause that is my plan with this project. I will be honest, I have never driven a truck in my life but love old cars, trucks and machinery.

Plans for the truck at the moment are to restore the body, build a new tray with a beavertail and winch. Driveline wise I would like to fit a turbo diesel engine so it can comfortably cruise at 100kph loaded up. I still want it to look like it ran around in the 50s earning its keep as a working truck.

My plan would be to still keep the essence of the truck and any modification needs to be reversable to take it back to standard.

I have been looking around for a long time for a truck that was suitable and in my price range, and this one fit the bill. Now to just wait for it to come to my place so I can see what I have got myself into.

Time to create page: 0.445 seconds