Skip to main content

Cummins White Smoke

More
3 days 14 hours ago #253677 by 77louie400
[object Object] My Louisville with a six Cylinder Cummins has blowen a fair bit of White smoke on cold start since a in chassis rebuild about 15 years ago, it never did it before the rebuild. It had a aluminum sump with cracks that leaked. that has been slowly getting worse so I finally got my arss into gear and put a new steel sump on it, now there is almost no white smoke just a little puff on cold startup. While I was on a roll the next job was to set the injectors but I am sitting here going what the F---- clues anyone.,
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 days 14 hours ago #253678 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Cummins White Smoke
I think all the Cummins gurus are no longer on here, some are no longer with us

Probably do some Googling on YouTube

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 days 12 hours ago #253681 by jon_d
Replied by jon_d on topic Cummins White Smoke
Might have something to do with the crank case ventilation?  ....  I know, drill a hole in the new steel sump and see if the smoke comes back.

More
3 days 12 hours ago - 2 days 23 hours ago #253682 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Cummins White Smoke

Might have something to do with the crank case ventilation?  ....  I know, drill a hole in the new steel sump and see if the smoke comes back.

Cheeky bugger

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
Last edit: 2 days 23 hours ago by Gryphon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, wee-allis

More
2 days 18 hours ago #253687 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Cummins White Smoke
I thought white smoke meant they elected a new Pope

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: V8Ian, Brocky45

More
1 day 9 hours ago #253698 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic Cummins White Smoke
What model Cummins? My 6BT has a cold start system with electric control. If the power is off (loose wire etc) then no advance when cold. Possible you bumped something while changing the sump?

More
1 day 2 hours ago #253700 by 77louie400
Replied by 77louie400 on topic Cummins White Smoke

What model Cummins? My 6BT has a cold start system with electric control. If the power is off (loose wire etc) then no advance when cold. Possible you bumped something while changing the sump?

Thanks for the input, it's a 925/827 motor early early big cam, the only electric's on it is the fuel on/of, 1977, motor generation started about 1974, white smoke is reasonably common in that era motor for some reason after rebuilds, a lot of these motors would be nudging 4+ million k's and 4 or 5 rebuilds. You have got me thinking a bit though, the new sump draws from the bottom internally and the old one is piped from the bottom externally, oil is around 70 psi so no noticeable change. My thoughts are along internal air pressure in the motor they do run with a bit of pressure and the only physical change is that I have blocked a few leaks, the motor is absolutely spotless inside. I only brought it years ago because it made relocating site huts on mine sites stress free, as you did not have to put up with whining truck drivers now it's a bit of fun and it gets a proper set of number plates for hay season.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Blackduck59, 180wannabe, cobbadog

More
1 day 11 minutes ago #253702 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Cummins White Smoke
Used to be a Louisville with a 903 came to the sandblasters ,never seen white smoke like it ......stink of hot kerosine and clouds of smoke .............I said to the driver one day ....Do you need a hot set ? ......Nah ,he says ,the cam s stuffed ......I had the cam reground and they stuffed it up.............One day ,I see him pulled over by the scalies on the Logan motorway ,off the road for emissions.

More
21 hours 47 minutes ago #253703 by 77louie400
Replied by 77louie400 on topic Cummins White Smoke

Used to be a Louisville with a 903 came to the sandblasters ,never seen white smoke like it ......stink of hot kerosine and clouds of smoke .............I said to the driver one day ....Do you need a hot set ? ......Nah ,he says ,the cam s stuffed ......I had the cam reground and they stuffed it up.............One day ,I see him pulled over by the scalies on the Logan motorway ,off the road for emissions.

Yes that is typical for needing hot set maybe or just worn out, mine was smokie on cold start only, Injector adjustment (hot set) was my next step but it's wait and see now, I did wind it over when the sump was off, there was a few marks on the cam but nothing you would call wear.

More
14 hours 55 minutes ago #253706 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic Cummins White Smoke
Guess these old girls may have been touchy with cam timing when rebuilt or typical Cummins they changed the tune spec's a little. Once had a 343 Cat fully re-conned by Cat, only way to start was with ether. Cat could never get it to start properly and they tried.

Time to create page: 0.535 seconds