Skip to main content

First truck Drive..

More
11 years 7 months ago #99218 by Tacho
Replied by Tacho on topic Re: First truck Drive..
G'day Mairjimmy, that Case tractor in the Inter 148 pic has clam-shell mudguards which means Eagle Hitch (a type of three point linkage) and not all that common. Any thing more you can tell me about it? Cheers

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #99219 by Mairjimmy
Replied by Mairjimmy on topic Re: First truck Drive..
Tacho,
You have a eagle eye to pick the 830 up as a eagle hitch, it was new in I think in 1964 maybe late 63 ,the hitch had external ram which on the lift stroke had high pressure and the down stroke was only about 200 to 300 lbs and no load draft .Same motor as the latter 830s but only governed at 1750 revs the latter ones were 1900 revs.Only had it for 12 month, traded on a latter one because we need better linkage with draft.
88 engine HP 58 on drawbar max torque 1400 revs.
High and low range stick came straight up out of transmission and the latter had a small one out of dash. This one had no platform,transmission was between your feet.
Colin

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!

More
11 years 7 months ago #99220 by grash
Replied by grash on topic Re: First truck Drive..
Sarge -X
That briquette yard wasn't around Williamstown, was it. A bloke by the name of Bob (Robbie).
grash.

More
11 years 7 months ago #99221 by oldb
Replied by oldb on topic Re: First truck Drive..
This Oldb did his truck licence in an Austin 245F fitted with a 20 seater bus body - I remember the examiner asked me to use hand signals during the test but the drivers seat was very close to the middle of the bus, so my arm didn't reach outside the window - that was the end of that !! The Austin had the Austin 4litre petrol engine and a 4 speed crash box - with typical pommy engineering and planning when you engaged 1st gear you smashed your knuckles on the back of the engine cover.
First truck driven for $$$ was a Ford F700 v8 with a 5 speed and a 2 speed diff - there was still the instruction sticker for the 2 speed on the sunvisor - a rapid but noisy learning curve for me......
Did my semi licence on a rather worn out D series Ford with a 25' trailer ...enough said about that bloody thing.
1st real drive in a semi was a Mercedes 2638 twin steer towing a b train with 2 containers of sodium cyanide on the back.

• Topic Author
11 years 7 months ago #99222 by
Replied by on topic Re: First truck Drive..
myfirst time was in a walkesia 6 wheel drive

• Topic Author
11 years 7 months ago #99223 by
Replied by on topic Re: First truck Drive..
oh these rotten computers
my first drive was in a walkesia 6 wheel drive tray went out the bush with the old man in his f700 ford tray put a load of timber on got bogged so we loaded up the walksesia hooked it up to the ford the old man was very clear in his intructions get in and drive that b//////d dont pull the front of my ford never driven anything before as i was only 10 yrs old towed him nearly 3 miles i surpose i didnt do to bad only got 2 or 3 bangs up the ears and only one kick up the arse after i unhooked him he just drove off left me to walk the 7 miles to the front gate i looked at the walkesia thought to myself bugger that drove her to the front gate then got another kick or 2 from the old man but i was over the moon i had finally drove a truck it was the start of a love affair with trucks n dozers thats lasted over 50 yrs but at least now no kicks up the arse from the old man :D :D :D

More
11 years 7 months ago #99224 by FatBob103
Replied by FatBob103 on topic Re: First truck Drive..
I have already told of my first truck drive earlier in the old Kew Dodge. But I was behind the wheel at age five. The old man owned a garage up in the NE Wheatbelt of WA and he went out one day to fix a farmers ute. Couldn't fix it so had to tow it home a couple of miles. He hooked up a tow rope and put me in the ute standing on the seat at age five and gave me a quick lesson on steering. He then towed the farmers ute back to the garage with me steering. I think he towed it quite slowly, but apparently (as the story goes) the whole district heard my mum explode when she realised what had just happened.

Life is to short to drink cheap wine.  On the other hand I plan to live forever - So far so goo

More
11 years 7 months ago #99225 by Roy O
Replied by Roy O on topic Re: First truck Drive..
My first truck drive was our old AB180 Inter .
My first big banger drive was a 1972 cabover KW with a 871N GM towing a 36foot bogie trailer carting grain in bins to Geelong GEB

More
11 years 7 months ago #99226 by Raggsie
Replied by Raggsie on topic Re: First truck Drive..
Absolutely first one would have been Pop's bread van (probably a Commer I think) at about age 4 on the knee.
The first one to actually pedal myself was one of the Old Mans TK Bedfords, (he had a few different ones over the years) aged about 8 or 9 I suppose. He would let me drive from the road gate into the sand pit, little compensation for all that washing and greasing not to mention the 6.00 am wake up to help lift off the hungry boards.

1956 International AR160&&196? International A414&&1988 Ford F250&&1982 FORD

More
11 years 7 months ago #99227 by Roy O
Replied by Roy O on topic Re: First truck Drive..
I forgot to mention that sometimes I now drive a brand new K 200, 600 hp , 18 speed auto shift and all the gear.
Unreal.

Time to create page: 0.529 seconds