Skip to main content

Other old vehicles

More
11 years 3 months ago #118433 by cymro
Replied by cymro on topic Re: Other old vehicles
Hi Ray,good to see the diesel enfield,Ive been trying to find one in oz for about 5 yrs with no joy.The first diesel bike I saw was in austria or switzerland ,it was a yamaha i think.Someone now builds new diesel bikes for the US Marines with Yamaha frames
Lyn

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #118434 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Re: Other old vehicles
Nice looking Studebaker there Jarrod bet you enjoyed every mile of the drive home to.

I sure did, but it wasn't all plain sailing. If I may have a quick off-topic aside which may help someone else later....
Leaving Proserpine about half past 1 in the afternoon it was obvious that the car had been sitting around for a couple of years while old mate was hoping they could fix his eyesight - they couldn't, hence the sale to me. The further I went with new petrol, the better she ran.....except up a grade. Even the slightest rise had her missing. If I backed off, she'd come good, but it'd drop back to 35 - 40 mph. About Childers I decided to have a look. HA! coil lead burnt in the cap, spares in the boot and away we go.....no change! Got home about 20 to 5 the next morning. Beautiful 60 - 70 mph on flat roads, though with the O/D.
Next day I pulled the oil-bath air cleaner off, thinking it was blocked. To cut a long story short there is a piece of hessian (?) stuff that looks like carpet underlay in the top. Every time it got a decent load on it this would get sucked down and choke the carby! I pulled it out and no more problems.
One of the old hands in the Stude club had seen it before. End of long, boring aside, Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #118435 by ray
Replied by ray on topic Re: Other old vehicles
Eddy, from what I have learnt over the years that Patrol of yours is a rare one. The 4 speed box was fitted to the last couple of hundred G60's to be built as Nissan ran out of 3 speeders and pinched the 4 speed from the upcoming MQ Patrol. This came from an ex employee of Nissan.

Lyn, I believe a fella on Phillip Island imported around half a dozen later model diesel Enfields but I have never had it confirmed or seen one.
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by ray.

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #118436 by Eddy
Replied by Eddy on topic Re: Other old vehicles

Eddy, from what I have learnt over the years that Patrol of yours is a rare one. The 4 speed box was fitted to the last couple of hundred G60's to be built as Nissan ran out of 3 speeders and pinched the 4 speed from the upcoming MQ Patrol. This came from an ex employee of Nissan.

Also uses the MQ diffs fitted with drum brakes. Spring perches are mounted about 20 mm outboard of the chassis to accommodate the wider housings. Possibly as many as 2,000 were built AFAIK, mine is number 01194, And I have seen number 01123. A lot went to Columbia, some to India, New Zealand and South America. Original Batch were built as demo vehicles for the Indian Army, (where they are still built as the "JONGA" now with Peugeot diesel and 5 speed box.)

Be it firearms or V8 engines, the question is not "why should you have them?"
, but "who are you to demand that I justify them?"
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by Eddy.

More
11 years 3 months ago #118437 by ray
Sorry Eddy, I should have been a bit more specific in that I was told that only a couple of hundred were in Australia. The old Nissan that we have was also sold in India as a "Jonga". I have seen a few pics of them and they appear to be a bit more rounded in the bodywork than ours.

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #118438 by Eddy
... yeah, info is bit scarce on the G61.
What we do know is that the G61 was a definitive build run, not just a matter of running out of 3 speed boxes, as production and sales overlapped. They were also fitted with the MQ engine. Mine has a G60 engine, as it's original engine had a bent valve, and was generally fairly sad. Unfortunately I'd scrapped it before I had discovered the full history. i paid for this mistake by discovering that the donk fitted had a huge crack in the block ... full length.

Actually JONGA production stopped in 1999 and the indian army went over to the Mahindra. JONGA parts are still available from a fairly huge stockpile I believe.

The serial number on mine is on an Australian Plate, so, depending on Nissan Australia's numbering system, there should theoretically have been at least 1194 in Australia, assuming they start at 00001.

I should also qualify all posts by saying that there is a lot of guesswork involved here as well ... Nissan Australia can not (or more likely will not) pass on any information.

Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by Eddy.

More
11 years 3 months ago #118439 by ray
I know what you went through with Nissan Aust. I was told that they had a Patrol the same as ours in storage and first off they denied it. I persisted as their storeman told me it was in their warehouse. Eventually they admitted that they had one but kept coming up with excuses why it wasn't available to look at. After 2 1/2 years of trying I gave up. All I wanted to do was look at it to compare vehicles as all we had to go by was a pic 2x3 inches when we restored ours. We have driven it to Mt Gambier for one of the first runs that Murray organised.

More
11 years 3 months ago #118440 by Eddy
I hang out here a bit 8-)

www.60patrol.com/forum/

Used to hang here a lot, but the forum owner has lost his marbles so I don't bother now ::)
www.rmp-o.com/phpBB3/

More
11 years 2 months ago #118441 by DaveG
Replied by DaveG on topic Re: Other old vehicles
Have you tried this one, www.patrol4x4.com/forum/ heaps of Patrol info there.
Cheers Dave

More
11 years 2 months ago #118442 by Eddy

Have you tried this one, www.patrol4x4.com/forum/ heaps of Patrol info there.
Cheers Dave

only one page on there for G60 and I probably posted half of the tech stuff ...

Time to create page: 0.577 seconds