Skip to main content

From Rusted back to useful

More
1 day 5 hours ago - 1 day 5 hours ago #254009 by cobbadog
The old box trailer had been neglected way too long n desperately needed some TLC. Armed with some new flat sections plus a couple of pieces bent at right angles I started removing the rust n welding the new bits in. Along the way there were plenty of extra holes found n patched or plug welded including 2 sections of floor. Today it got the top coat applied over the red oxide primer. Had thoughts of the White going pink but it never did. I squirter some hammer tone silver on the dress rims n jockey wheel. Engine crane has been painted Delicious Red but may not be bolted back on right now. I also have made a bracket to adapt a boat winch along with some hooks for the rope pulley to attack to. That area has been strengthen using 2mm 35mm square tube welded in place. Only need to refit the lights then it's finished.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
  • Last edit: 1 day 5 hours ago by cobbadog.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, 180wannabe, Lang, Normanby, 77louie400, PaulFH, V8Ian, PDU, oliver1950

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
    12 hours 36 minutes ago #254019 by Morris
    Replied by Morris on topic From Rusted back to useful
    Cobbadog,
    You are very good (and patient) at turning rust back into something useful. Just in case you are thinking of making money at it, there are any number of very rusty trailers and other things available free on Marketplace.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
    my nose to the grindstone,
    I've put my best foot forward,
    I've put my back into it,
    I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
    The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
    5 hours 17 minutes ago #254022 by cobbadog
    Replied by cobbadog on topic From Rusted back to useful
    Morris, thank you for your kind words but believe me, one is enough. 
    Finished the lights apart from zip tying up the excess wires underneath. I'm going to leave the engine crane off n fit it when needed. However I have greased n refitted the swivel base which is wide enough to keep rain out of the post. 
    Next I'm going to build a short shelter over it with shade cloth around the 2 sides.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
    Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
    Working on more play time.
  • The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH, asw120

More
    2 hours 44 minutes ago #254026 by Zuffen
    Replied by Zuffen on topic From Rusted back to useful
    How do you find the engine crane on the trailer?

I've thought about one on my 6x12 trailer as it would be SO handy, but it just adds to drawbar weight.

More
    1 hour 29 minutes ago - 1 hour 20 minutes ago #254027 by Lang
    Replied by Lang on topic From Rusted back to useful
    those little cranes do not weigh much and can be removed in 10 seconds if you want to throw it into the trailer or back of your ute. I have one on my Navara to cope with geriatric muscles.

Only problem with the simple ones is although they have a bearing in the support tube there is nothing to stop them rotating so that engine swings to the lowest point often taking a superhuman effort to swing it around over the tray. If you are using them often a few extra dollars on a crane with some traverse control is pretty essential.

The red one is what I have and is very handy so long as you are not lifting very heavy stuff making the ute or trailer lean making you push the load up hill. Well worth the extra money is the extra of a little boat winch and a running rope. Running ropes are so much more useful than just a lifting arm as the centre of lift does not move when you go up and down which is bloody annoying in fine movements like an engine removal. Super Cheap, Trade Tools etc have them $300-400 but Marketplace always has used ones.

• Last edit: 1 hour 20 minutes ago by Lang.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, asw120

More
    22 minutes ago #254028 by grumpy gumpy
    My trailer crane has the cable winch thing on it, the only issue I've had with it is trying to something a bit too heavy and the trailer starting to tip over, been meaning to make an outrigger arm but life keeps getting in the way
    gumpy

Time to create page: 0.505 seconds