Skip to main content

Hydrovac Brake Booster

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #142594 by HeyCharger
Hi Guys. Anyone heard of these (or better still have one they want to loan me - permanently) for my 1942 Ford semi trailer bus restoration. I've never heard of them, but they are in the book. Thanks. Rod.

Proud owner of;
1948 Massey Harris 44K.
1946 Ford Semi-Trailer Bus.
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by HeyCharger.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #142595 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Re: Hydrovac Brake Booster
Had one on my Mini back in the day, popular with those old cars with feeble unboosted drum brakes.
Once the vacuum brake booster/master cylinder combo we see everywhere became standard fitment, Hydrovacs were forgotten.
I think there's now only 2-sizes available.
Bit of a pain to bleed so siting the unit properly is paramount.

More
10 years 1 month ago #142596 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Hydrovac Brake Booster
Other thing I hate about them is that when the seal fails, the vacuum sucks the brake fluid out and you have no brakes, and because the brake fluid ends up in the vacuum chamber there is no tell tale oil leaks.

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #142597 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Re: Hydrovac Brake Booster

Other thing I hate about them is that when the seal fails, the vacuum sucks the brake fluid out and you have no brakes, and because the brake fluid ends up in the vacuum chamber there is no tell tale oil leaks.

Yep! Been there; done that! Dodge 200 ex- PMG. Took a whole bottle of brake fluid over a month or so before I worked it out. (PBR VH-40)

ASW.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by asw120.

More
10 years 1 month ago #142598 by HeyCharger
ok guys. AS I know jack sh*t about this subject, would a Remote Vacuum Booster be suitable?

Proud owner of;
1948 Massey Harris 44K.

More
10 years 1 month ago #142599 by dieseldog
I found this and it looks simple enough.

dave78chieftain.zxq.net/HydroVac_brakes.html

If you follow the link to the Stovebolt page, there's a bit more there too.

More
10 years 1 month ago #142600 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Re: Hydrovac Brake Booster
Charger

If you can put on a remote vacuum booster it is the go. I have put them on my Dodge Weapon Carriers and a Blitz. On those vehicles it takes under an hour by any home handyman.

The difference is a choice of applying in writing 24 hours in advance for permission to stop or having brakes as good as a modern Landcruiser - it is that dramatic a change.

If the Ford can be set up with a standard master cylinder without the hydrovac system you can put in a remote.

Lang

More
10 years 1 month ago #142601 by HeyCharger

The difference is a choice of applying in writing 24 hours in advance for permission to stop or having brakes as good as a modern Landcruiser - it is that dramatic a change.

Thanks Lang. I've heard that. And with my semi-trailer brakes, (which are solely hand lever operated) I've heard it's 30days... :-[

Thanks DD. Great info.
Rod.

Proud owner of;
1948 Massey Harris 44K.

Time to create page: 0.430 seconds