Skip to main content

Semi-trailer bus

More
14 years 11 months ago #15405 by Dominic
Replied by Dominic on topic Re: Semi-trailer bus
:)I will try and find this bloke. Its getting better. There has to be more out there.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 11 months ago #15406 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Re: Semi-trailer bus

In January 1962 it was sold with the company to Pell's Nambucca Bus Service. A Leyland Comet prime mover was substituted in 1972. When withdrawn in 1977, it was the last semi-trailer bus in service in N.S.W.
[ch9787]

I better fire up the scanner coz I've got a pic of that leyland here somewhere

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
14 years 11 months ago #15407 by Cunning Stunt
Replied by Cunning Stunt on topic Re: Semi-trailer bus
So there you go, I'm still alive!!

There is a fairly neat White and trailer similar to Swishy's secong photo owned by the Sydney Truck and Bus Museum. Last I heard they were punted from the Tempe sheds that they had been accomodating for years and it may be available. Also know of a prime mover the same as Swishy's first pic that will be for sale in Victoria.

You're the man Swish!

Some play hard to get

More
14 years 11 months ago #15408 by Andy Wright
Replied by Andy Wright on topic Re: Semi-trailer bus
On top of what Bruce says, Karen and Dale Barnard in Qld have that White p/m unit for sale. At least I think they still have it available.

Dom, send me a PM and I'll pass on their email.

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

More
14 years 11 months ago #15409 by Cunning Stunt
Replied by Cunning Stunt on topic Re: Semi-trailer bus

On top of what Bruce says, Karen and Dale Barnard in Qld have that White p/m unit for sale. At least I think they still have it available.

Dom, send me a PM and I'll pass on their email.

That's the one I'm talking about Andy, it changed hands and is in Victoria now. Charlie Palmer in Sydney bought it but I think he is going to move it on............

Some play hard to get

More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #15410 by Dominic
Replied by Dominic on topic Re: Semi-trailer bus
Not sure what a PM is but my email address is dom.bATinternode.on.net if that helps

Dom, Andy here, just replaced the @ in your email with AT so the spam bots don't record your address.
Last edit: 14 years 11 months ago by Andy Wright.

More
14 years 11 months ago #15411 by truckmad
Replied by truckmad on topic Re: Semi-trailer bus
perthbus.info/index.php?page=10
have alook on this website ;)

More
14 years 11 months ago #15412 by HeyCharger
Replied by HeyCharger on topic Re: Semi-trailer bus
This is what I'm after. My old school bus from Victor Harbour, SA.
Rod.

[IMG

Proud owner of;
1948 Massey Harris 44K.
1946 Ford Semi-Trailer Bus.

14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #15413 by
Replied by on topic Re: Semi-trailer bus
The link to the Perth semi-trailer bus site is interesting. Despite the majority of the private bus operators disappearing around 1952 .. after the tragic Doubleview head-on bus crash, made the Govt dissolve private bus operators, and introduce the MTT .. I distinctly remember, as a real young'un .. watching a KS5 Inter semi-trailer Metro bus, wheel down William St, heading North, and turn left into Wellington St, heading out of town in a Westerly direction. As a 5 or 6 yr old, around 1954 or 1955, I was mightily impressed, and that memory has stayed with me. I may be mistaken, it could have been one of the Whites .. but I note that 3 x KS5's are mentioned on the list, and the records are sketchy about them.

The private bus operators in the 1940's and early 1950's, particularly the Scarborough and Nth Beach Bus Co's, were real cowboys .. and these careless operators led to the dissolution of the private bus services in Perth, when the Govt took nearly all of them over in 1952.
I can recall the old man telling me about how the Scarborough and Nth Beach buses ran half the time without brakes, bald tyres .. and God only knows what else was dodgy on their rigs. The Doubleview crash was a major disaster caused by cowboy drivers, and if you note, there were several major bus crashes in W.A. by private operators after WW2, and up until the early 1950's.

I know where there's a fabulous old late 1930's Swallowtail AEC bus (not a semi, just a standard bus), hidden on a farm. In the early 1980's when I last saw it, it was being used as farm labourer accommodation. I'll wager it's still there. She's an absolute classic.

White semi-trailer bus outside Perth Zoo, 1949 .. www.slwa.wa.gov.au/images/816b_c2/008120d.jpg

New White semi-trailer bus (1950?) .. www.slwa.wa.gov.au/images/misc4/006096d.jpg

More
14 years 11 months ago #15414 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Semi-trailer bus
That part about the Fowler Cheetah and Landliner is very interesting, I did an article on Peninsula bus company fro the Monitor a few years back and that website has more info on the WA end of the story.

Time to create page: 0.486 seconds