Skip to main content

Restoration on C1300 4 door

More
12 years 6 months ago #80682 by Southwest
Have decided to restore the old Inter I picked up from a mate about ten years ago. Any information on parts or history would be much appreciated.
International C1300 Build date 6/70.
6 seater, 4 door (no handles ever fitted to rear RHS door so most likely ex PWD. That and a fact it's painted bright red).
Max GCW 16600 pounds.
Engine block stamped 281
Straight six, petrol.
Someone fitted gas and a Hilux steering column and i would like to put it back as original.
All help greatfully recieved.
Rob.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #80683 by tonym
Hi,
I've got a 1970 Inter 281 six cylinder.
Sounds like a good truck you have there. Honestly if you can replace the 281 as soon as possible it might not be a bad idea.
I have been chasing parts for mine for 12 months and can find very little available. I reckon they made about 6 of these engines.....
Hilux steering box? ( never thought of that).. I have a genuine steering box here if you need it, and genuine Stromberg carburetor. A shame they didn't put the Hilux diesel motor in the truck..

If you can't afford a Dodge

More
12 years 5 months ago #80684 by bparo
Look up Podge on the forum and send him a PM as he isn't on the forum very often. They have a lot of parts for the 281 motors

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
12 years 5 months ago #80685 by Southwest
Thanks for the info guys. As soon as i work out how to post my photo's i will put them up. From what i can gather from a few of the locals the motor in the IH is the original donk. When i picked it up it had a five litre oil container wired up underneath due to the amount of oil leaking from the rocker cover and side plates so most of it has given the floor pan a nice rust proof coating. Had a go at opening the rear drivers side door yesterday and the paint doesnt look like it has seen much sun so at least that bit of the truck is good. :) :)

More
12 years 5 months ago #80686 by Southwest
Scuse the "in your face" loadup, I might have to reduce the photos a bit next time. When i get the chance i will have pump up the tyres and fire her up for a move into the shed. Been a long time coming and the restores iv'e seen on this forum have given me a kick start. i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o570/southwest1300/467.jpg [/IMG]

More
12 years 5 months ago #80687 by Southbound

Have decided to restore the old Inter I picked up from a mate about ten years ago. Any information on parts or history would be much appreciated.
International C1300 Build date 6/70.
6 seater, 4 door (no handles ever fitted to rear RHS door so most likely ex PWD. That and a fact it's painted bright red).
Max GCW 16600 pounds.
Engine block stamped 281
Straight six, petrol.
Someone fitted gas and a Hilux steering column and i would like to put it back as original.
All help greatfully recieved.
Rob.

G'day Southwest, what steering box is fitted to your truck? Cheers Ross

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.

More
12 years 5 months ago #80688 by Southwest
Arvo Southbound, Steering box for the inter is original, only the steering column has been changed. Looks like an 83 Hilux and someone at one stage has welded the lower spline joint to the original input shaft. I should be able to fix that with a recon box, maybe. [smiley=undecided.gif]. The modification works and there dosn't seem to be anything amiss with the steering but the boys in blue over here take a dim view of mods to steering systems. No sense of humour. ;)

More
12 years 5 months ago #80689 by invested energy
Scary part is that the steering box, for my information, is the weak point on an inter.

A dodge one is generally preffered.

Has anyone got reccomendations for a power steering box conversion for these?

Cheers

A

for when I'm not driving the car of the century...

More
12 years 5 months ago #80690 by bigcam
I've seen what looks like a Landcruiser box on a C1100.
I've put a ZF box off a 1418 Benz on my Dodge, and Brennan has a C1800 with a ZF box on it as well. My conversion has been aproved by an engineer, but you will have to talk to an engineer with your idea's before you start. Both Brennan's truck and mine are also a bit bigger than yours. Here is the link to what I did.
www.hcvc.com.au/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1274828852/80

More
12 years 5 months ago #80691 by Hardtopman
A mate has a D5N 200 and has used a Mazda T3500 steering box and a Valiant steering column. A Hilux or Landcruiser box might be a bit light on for what is a 3 ton truck.

Time to create page: 0.532 seconds