Skip to main content

Fault finding flow charts

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #178203 by Lang
With all the discussion on trying to get the Inter 345 running I found these very handy charts. Worth copying and putting in the workshop.

Lang

Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Lang.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #178205 by Mrsmackpaul
now as good as they maybe it still comes back to the nut behind the tool following it thru correctly

And here lies the problem its all good until the human gets involved then the wheels fall off the wagon and it ends up in the ditch :P :P

I was very lucky when I did my apprentice ship out of all the tradesman that worked at the company I worked for I spent a lot of time working with two really smart people and great teachers and I guess I also had to be a good and eager student otherwise they would have never taken me under their wing so to speak

One of the trades man he was very technical and was really good on electronics and taught me heaps, he was a very hands on lets jump into boots and all type of bloke and wasnt afraid to try, he always said to me "those that have never blown anything up have never really tried"

The other bloke who was my dads age was a lot different a lot calmer and he was very big on standing back and observing whats going before you touch anything, and he proved most faults could be found and proven with out even opening a tool pouch

Now between these two totally different styles of tradesman I picked up a awful lot about fixing lifts and could fix just about anything and everything without seaking any help, but the biggest thing I was taught was how to fix anything at all by using the same methods that I was taught on fixing lifts

standing back and observing the whole process
proving what is wrong before changing anything
never guess always prove the problem before spending money
the biggest golden rule is "DON'T FIDDLE" this causes more problems than it ever fixes and the other thing is you never know what the problem is then

These two men had a profound and ever lasting changing effect on my life for which I am ever grateful
I know when I had apprentices I tried to teach them the same as I was taught "forget all the BS and concentrate on the facts" a bit like the detective shows on TV "just the facts Mam " and fixing stuff is like that as well just the facts put that gut feeling aside and just follow the story as what ever it is you are trying to fix tells it to you and 9 times out of 10 the end result will be got to a lot quicker

anyway please forgive my ramblings

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
7 years 9 months ago #178207 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Fault finding flow charts
Gr8 Info Lang
Eye'd B a genius ifn eye could remember to remember
:lol: :lol: ;) :lol: :lol:
Butt
WTF
LOL
cya
§

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #178208 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Fault finding flow charts
Paul

I thought that was exactly what flow charts are for.

"don't fiddle" and only look at "facts" in a logical most likely order is what they demonstrate.

We don't all have your training and I suspect you might like a flow chart if someone came to you with a new BMW that was running rough.

Anyhow I need all the help I can get so personally anything to reduce the swearing is a good thing.

Lang
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Lang.

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #178210 by Mrsmackpaul
Yep I reckon you are right Lang we never used flow charts or any other such thing

and the BMW dunno doubt anyone would be silly enough to get me to fix it LOL

The only books we had on lifts were called sequence of operations as there is so much that happens so quickly if you dont no the correct sequence it can be very hard to pick up on whats happening or whats meant to be happening but I dont recall seeing anyone ever use these books
I did collect a couple of lift books over the years there is a big folder a old Johns and Waygood gear some EPL books but I never used them for work

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Mrsmackpaul.

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #178213 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic Fault finding flow charts
.To me ...................
............................................there is nothing like like a bit of info about what you are working on ( unless you are well versed )
too often things are just ripped apart,,,masking the cause of the problem.....which then arises again in the future.
Here we go................While at WABCO (Then Komatsu agents) A new dozer was supposedly down on power.
Fuel pump,,injectors had been changed...........every thing else checked and supposedly OK...
By this time the customer was totally peed off with the thing.............
So i went to the bush to watch it operating............not being overly versed about the thing.........i grabbed a manual and read it from
start to finish........
Yep. definately slow compared to a Cat D7 working along side .........
Hooks a few gauges up to the thing.......gives the power shift transmission a stall test.........if any thing .......eng revs were slightly high.
That sort of ruled out the donk....................
Hooks up a pressure gauge to the transmission.. and gives it a burst.......finds the converter out pressure was down ..
not a lot though.........but was it enough to matter............???????????
I thinks hell..where do i go from here............
Makes an executive decision with the owner looking over my shoulder....
I will pull the control unit off the transmission.....WHAT......... every one says....
Off it comes ...pulls it apart.....all looks OK to me..........so out comes the manual.........
then finds a metal plug in the end of the modulating valve (according to the manual) was missing an O ring groove.........
Grasping at straws.......i ask the owner if he can get a groove machined in the plug to fit an O ring,,,OK.
that takes a day to get that done............
Throws it back together with an O ring fitted to the plug........fires it up...once warm .. the converter out pressure
has jumped that little bit to what it should be..........
They put it to work.......instant success.........smiles all round...........BUT i would never have found the problem
without the manual..........
One thing i always tried to do was find out why a problem occurred... so that it didnt arise again......................
.....................................Billy........................................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by BillyP.

More
7 years 9 months ago #178226 by Bitsa
Replied by Bitsa on topic Fault finding flow charts
No Ramblin here Mrs Mack. I was taught pretty much the same way as you by some pretty good Tradesman and i think that has stood me in good stead most of my life.

1990NKR Isuzu&&1974 D1310 4x4&&195? Chamberlain Dere Backhoe&&743B Bobcat&am

More
7 years 9 months ago #178238 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic Fault finding flow charts
Unfortunately, fault diagnosis isn't taught to many apprentices today. Even the skill set of many tradesmen today is severely lacking. I've worked with fitter/turners straight out of their trade who couldn't tell the difference between a high tensile bolt and a mild steel one or there was the boilermaker who had never used a stick welder before. Its very sad to say the least.

Fault diagnosis is so simple. You just start at one end and work through until you find the problem. And as Billy said, good manual is essential.

We bought a new car years ago. After a year or so, the engine would just cut out- idling at the lights or overtaking someone on the highway, it would just stop dead. It took the dealer over 3 years and $70 000 (all under warranty, only paid $33k for the car new) to work out the antenna for the keyless entry was buggered and when it didn't detect the key, the immobiliser would kick in and stop the engine. Perhaps if someone had read a manual or used a flow chart, we might still be customers there....

Time to create page: 0.534 seconds