Skip to main content

INTER-esting days

More
1 month 1 week ago #253384 by grumpy gumpy
Replied by grumpy gumpy on topic INTER-esting days
Port Augusta (north)is the other way to mt lofty, (east).
Lots of bricks were carted nth when the (then) satellite town of Elizabeth was built in the early fifties
Gumpy

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 week ago #253385 by 77louie400
Replied by 77louie400 on topic INTER-esting days
A joey box and a big diff would do the job, looks like 20 pallets, the trailers would weigh next nothing, you would not want to see the scalies though, where I have taken 60 ton payload behind a 330 Cummins KW on permit would scare the shit out of you, well it scared the shit out of me. If that was in Africa or the middle east it would have the sand, cement and the timber for the house on as well, we are just a bunch of Shelia's in this country, There has been a lot of 60 tonners up the Hume highway that never went near the weigh bridges, I would have pictures of quite a few but we won't share them here, but making plate steel 9 Foot wide probably stopped a fair bit of that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
1 month 1 week ago #253386 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic INTER-esting days
I reckon the badge on the mudguard says it's a V8 petrol. Go a bit better than a Perkins.

Jarrod. 

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

More
1 month 1 week ago #253396 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic INTER-esting days
354 perk not any slower than a 345 petrol.......we had perks in bogie 1840 butterboxes ,new motors all round every Christmas shutdown , a new perk was about $1200,a 'Perpetuity ' motor was $800 ........they were supposed to be reconditioned ,but it was just a sales tax dodge ,they were new long motors....best value in trucks ...ever ........people are always going on about best diesel .....Perks were best value diesel,and made owners rich ........when I cleaned up the back yard a coupla years ago ,I must have scrapped a dozen Perks that were swapped out .......nothing wrong with them ,just the housing and flywheel missing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, asw120

More
1 month 1 week ago #253397 by JOHN.K.
Perks and Inter DT 466 were the best motors in brick trucks we had .......very worst was Cummins 555 VT190 , in a 1950B ...new truck ,traded after 12 months on a 1950C with a dt 466.........that was 1984 ,and that was the truck I bought for the sandblasters in 2004 from Jack ,who ended up owning all the brick trucks as we dropped out for one reason or another......good old days.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, asw120

More
1 month 1 week ago #253399 by Southbound
Replied by Southbound on topic INTER-esting days

I don't know the weight of a pallet of bricks but seems to me Adelaide to Port Augusta on the flat would stop that old girl dead. Can't see her going east over Mount Lofty.
 There are some important factors to consider when picking up your bricks. Each brick weighs approximately 4kg, which means one pallet of 500 bricks weigh 2 - 2.5 tonnes.
She'd be a handful coming down the Adelaide hills too!

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.

More
1 month 1 week ago #253400 by JOHN.K.
A solid brick was reckoned to weigh 9lb ........the mud bricks were somewhat lighter .

More
3 weeks 2 days ago #253623 by Gryphon
Replied by Gryphon on topic INTER-esting days
Hi,

last night I was on a factory tour of the Jaunt workshop, www.jauntmotors.com/ , and amongst the Land Rovers and Mokes was an IH Scout getting their conversion treatment. I did take a photo or two of it but I wont post it here until it is completed and revealed out of respect for the owner.

Terry
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, asw120, wee-allis

More
3 weeks 2 days ago #253624 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic INTER-esting days
Sounds interesting, I wonder how they drive once the conversion is done, I think it would be better than a new one

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 weeks 1 day ago #253626 by Tired Iron
Replied by Tired Iron on topic INTER-esting days
Hi All
Did we have many of these BCF series in Australia?
I know the pic is of USA version-thanks Old IH Trucks.com
The one (and only) I can remember was petrol powered, and two sticks.
At that age, I had NFI what the two sticks was all about
Cheers   
  • The following user(s) said Thank You: overlander, PaulFH, wee-allis

Time to create page: 0.601 seconds