Skip to main content

Ergo pic for Andy Wright.

More
13 years 9 months ago #40129 by nz jamie
Here you go mate,
A recent line up of Ergo's,taken on the North Island long lap.
They are as follows-
Peter Vincent's '67 Marshal,with AV505 motor and AEC 6 speed crash box. I drove this from Wellington through to Auckland with a load of loader buckets that I shifted for the mob I work for. A great old banger mate that didn't miss a beat.
Atki Pete joined me for a couple of days,we had a good time dribbling on about trucks.

Mike Houghton's '68 Leyland Beaver Steer with 680 motor and Leyland splitter box. The caravan on top was his and a mates scratcher for two weeks.
He had clutch dramas on the second week when the ring of bolts retaining the clutch spiggot bearing came loose and jammed the clutch.

Finaly Peter Vincent's 1970 Leyland Octopus,that's been repowered with a Leyland TL11 with a 13 speed under driven Road Ranger. Go's like the clappers and sounds great with the turbo out the back of the cab.
It's loaded with a Kiwi converted 4X4 Leyland Chiefton that we picked up along the way for a bloke in the South Island.
http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv101/NZJAMIE/ergos.jpg?t=1292316964
Me and Atki Pete reckoned you would have been fizzing at the bung mate.
Cheers Jamie

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #40130 by atkipete
Yeah, well if you were wondering were all the Ergos were Andy, the Kiwis have got them. This was not some carefully rehearsed photoshoot, we we just lost once again.

More
13 years 9 months ago #40131 by mike garrett

Yeah, well if you were wondering were all the Ergos were Andy, the Kiwis have got them. This was not some carefully rehearsed photoshoot, we we just lost once again.

You shouldn't have gotten lost with Mike in the middle now if he was in front........... ::) ::)

More
13 years 9 months ago #40132 by Tatra
Replied by Tatra on topic Re: Ergo pic for Andy Wright.
Andy,

A few more for the collection:

Once popular in Israel, both this type of "bus" and the ergomatics (nicknamed Leyland "Televisia" there, on account of the huge w/screen) are all but gone. Roads were far worse then so limited off-roadability came handy for some tour operators (and you could always covert it back into a truck).

On a more normal role...

And once more, with an AEC LD55 badged as Leyland in Israel, but with AEC mechanicals, which made them unpopular (unlike the others, which were assembled by Leyland Ashdod and had 680 engines with which everyone and his dog were familiar with).

Pics from www.facebook.com/photo_search.php?oid=55049997117&view=all , loads more Leylands there if you suffer from the diesease.

Cheers,

T

More
13 years 9 months ago #40133 by Andy Wright
Lovely, lovely, lovely, gurgle ... bugger, drooling again.

Ah, Jamie, that was you driving Ol' Thunderguts. Have heard a lot about that truck and Mike H sent me through a few pics a while ago when she was pulled out of the shed. If the one I'm on the hunt for is half as good, I'll be a happy chap and the camera card will be full.

I don't think I've seen a pic of Peter's Occy without a load on her. It's usually something of Leyland or AEC origin too and looking decidedly used.

Thanks for taking the time to post that great pic.

Pete, yeah, they're a bit few and far between here but there's always hope! LOL.

Thanks Tatra, really like that bus ... and I'm not much of a bus fan.

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

More
13 years 9 months ago #40134 by Tatra
Andy,

These buses were a part of growing up in Israel in the 1960s and the 1970s (most school trips were taken in them - they were usually cheaper than "proper" buses...)

Here's another Ergo, with one of the first Euro length trailers to be permitted in the country. Yes, those are spider wheels on a Leyland (market requirement back then).

From here: rides.webshots.com/album/496884331WQBEoV

Cheers,

T

More
13 years 9 months ago #40135 by nz jamie
Great pics Tatra mate,
What's the bus a Super Comet? The mixer must be a Hippo right? And what would the concrete pump be another Super Comet or a Beaver?
Yeah Andy mate that was me pedaling 'Thunder Guts' She might not look to flash,but I really like the fact that she's origanal,and she just keeps on going and going.
I must admit I've given her a fairly big birthday recently,hoses,filters,belts new oils all through,fixed up fuel and air leaks,new diff seal,new drive shaft uni's a good grease and adjust up. And probably the first propper clean underneath that it's had in 30 years,filthy mate.
Still a fair bit to do, got to get the temp gauge sorted out so it reads properly. It's need of a good top tune and new rocker cover gaskets,will have to get them out of the UK.
And then think about what to do with the cab?
For an old banger,she realy grows on you,I took it 650's up to Auckland last week no drama,I was half deaf by the time I got there,but happy. We then came back the two days after,it sounds great with the stack behind your ear.
With the buckets on it was at about 14 tonne,I loved taking it up some of the long pulls in the King Country,down three cogs at about 15 mph,bogging down with the stack blowing hard.
When I was on the run I decided to kip in the cab like the Poms used to,so I knocked up a bit of ply to sit on the door window sills,I also put a cut out in it so I could sit on the dash,take my boots off,drop me strides and swing up in to bed.
Next time I'll get a thicker bit of foam for my swag as it was bloody hard on the ply,a bit bright too,could do with some curtains.
Most thought I was bonkers,but hay that's how they used to do it. And we all had a laugh
[imghttp://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv101/NZJAMIE/IMG_3812.jpg?t=1292490000][/img]

Notice the wall to wall shag pile carpet

More
13 years 9 months ago #40136 by nz jamie
http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv101/NZJAMIE/IMG_3812.jpg?t=1292490000

More
13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #40137 by Andy Wright
Bonkers, yes, but wouldn't have it any other way, Jamie. Really makes you appreciate what the old blokes went through. Nice work on the 'bed', mate.

I'n in the very early stages of doing the same with an LAD Albion Reiver - under the guidance/tutelage of Pat (Melonreo on here) although he's still the only one who has a clue - but have yet to get her running. Turning over, yes, but not kicking into life. However, two new ZZ batteries should do the trick. No wall-to-wall shagpile though so nowhere near as classy as the 'guts. In fact, the only upholstery is the seats and the engine cover ... or what the rats have left anyway.

She's all there and solid as - a faded blue version of the 'guts in a perfect world - and will get a birthday as well when she's home. She got bug bombed last weekend as we got hit pretty bad by mossies and fleas when we first worked on her.

Hate to think what's going to follow us home once she's back on the road...

Keep 'em coming, Tatra, flipping awesome. Love colour shots from that period.

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by Andy Wright.

More
13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #40138 by Tatra
Jamie,

You're right I believe, although Leyland Ashdod (not to be confused with the Indian Leyland Ashok) had a habit of mixing the badges and creating models not heard of elsewhere - they also produced some unique types, but this is about ergos.

Having said the above, here's an example. The Super Comet is obvious but to its left you can see a 1972 Sisu badged as a Leyland Beaver... Pic was taken during the 1973 war. The tanks are probably getting ready to go into battle after re-supply. Yes those are civilian trucks conscripted by the IDF - something any operator has to live with over there.

Pic originally from the IDF archives.

Cheers,

T
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by Tatra.

Time to create page: 0.521 seconds