Skip to main content

Ergo pic for Andy Wright.

More
13 years 9 months ago #40139 by mammoth
The AEC concrete pumper is the bonnetted version of mkv series. 4X2 was called Mogul; 6X4 was called Majestic (these are all old Maudsley names re used)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #40140 by Tatra
Replied by Tatra on topic Re: Ergo pic for Andy Wright.
Mammoth,

I am not sure about that - I think the LD 55 was a new development taking off where the Majestic left. It was intended to be used primarily as a tipper and the first ones had single rear tyres. The also tried to market them as (African) bush semi-trailer tractors. By that time AEC was a part of the rotting Leyland empire and the LD55 was another model not properly developed or marketed. Who knows what might have been if AEC remained independent and the V8 was sorted from the start... Picture one of them with reliable 350hp and a sleeper in 1970 - a tractor unit to compete with the US offerings?

Cheers,

T

More
13 years 9 months ago #40141 by mammoth
Yep got mixed up there - was referring to the agitator. If I'm not mistaken the LD 55 was a later name for the dumptruck, which had big motor and long front overhang. The windscreen arrangement on this one is usually seen on the dumptruck which I don't think it is

More
13 years 9 months ago #40142 by Tatra
Replied by Tatra on topic Re: Ergo pic for Andy Wright.
Mammoth,

It is a Dumptruck but without the "dump" and with the expensive single tyre set up changed to doubles - trust me! It was a special batch imported by an enterprising Israeli haulage company without Leyland Ashdod's involvement or blessing and - unless I'm greatly mistaken - they managed to get an import licence because Leyland Ashdod was unanble to meet orders on its own Super Beaver (see below) which, from a distance, might have passed for an older Mogul but was fully a Leyland. The above company later became insolvent and I think there was also a fraud case involving its owners, two absconded to the US, the one who did not ended in the slammer for a while. Without any factory support and using the "weird" AEC engines, the trucks did not last very long (unlike the UK ones, which I remember working on the M25 motorway in the early 1990s still).

Here's one of the AEC from the front:

and from the rear:

now if you go to the AEC Trucks & Buses site ( aec.fotopic.net/c1194154.html ) and compare the Dumptruck pics they have, you'll be able to see this is the same thing....

Cheers,

T

Time to create page: 0.434 seconds