Replied by on topic Re: Odd truck,
Well my memory was still good
This is the NR mack with the bedford cab and the straight 6/71 of Clearys
Photo credit to Peter Monaghan, and Clearys

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #43500 by Cunning Stunt
Replied by Cunning Stunt on topic Re: Odd truck,
Wow Old Dog, what an absolutely great photo. I have a copy of Classic Trucks (Truckin Life) from a few years back with some photos from the Gong and there is a photo of what is most likely that truck but in someone elses colours, remember it because they said it had a Bedford cab.

Some play hard to get

13 years 6 months ago #43501 by
I was surprised to find the other day, that the TA and TD Bedfords had the same cab, as the early 1950's Chev trucks.
I guess this component use between models was common, I've been told that FE-FC Holdens use the same doorhandles, as '52 Chevs.

13 years 6 months ago #43502 by
cunning back when you got that black 53 cusso there was a wog bloke workin for pioneer penrith with a canvas roof nr mack and single axle fox trailer it was still left hook he finally got sick of freezin an fitted a bedford cab not long after pioneer gave him the punt

13 years 6 months ago #43503 by

Wow Old Dog, what an absolutely great photo. I have a copy of Classic Trucks (Truckin Life) from a few years back with some photos from the Gong and there is a photo of what is most likely that truck but in someone elses colours, remember it because they said it had a Bedford cab.

Cunning I remember it from back then, the float driver was Bill Simpson he just delivered a 977 traxcavator to a waterboard job i was working at. He was asking me could i hear the gudgeon pin knock. That's how we got talking about it. And i have had a go at that little 10RB also. It had a blade on the dipper and it was used to scrape Bauxite out of railway S trucks down at the old No 4 raw materials area. Driving a loader one afternoon i asked the bloke could i have a go, He said sure you can finish the job. So i did..........

13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #43504 by
Onetrack, the Bedford had a setback front axle, hence the cutout in the footwell and lower corners of the doors. Or did the Chev have a longer BBC? Also if you look at a J series Bedford you will notice it is just a refined T cab, one piece windscreen and corner windows which i think the later T cab got before the J.
I found that a lot of fittings in early Holden's were just GM U.S. fittings, like you mention door handles, also dash knobs, glove box catch, guage/instrument styles. Bonnet hinges and latch's and the like.
Peter Wieland of Miller Rd Chester Hill put a few Bedford T cabs on NR Mack's aswell as re-powering them in the Mid 60's. He also re-furbished some of the B83's from Bell Bros.

13 years 6 months ago #43505 by
jmackb - Yeah, I seem to recall Bedford advertising a shorter BBC than other trucks, to get a bigger payload area/tray length.

Time to create page: 0.518 seconds