Skip to main content

Irish Truck Show

More
8 years 2 months ago #169584 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Irish Truck Show
Thanks for sharing Lang. Looks Bloody interesting..

Any more info on the big Hino???
has a Bitsa/Hybrid look about it..

http://www.hcvc.com.au/forum/attachment/1112
http://www.hcvc.com.au/forum/attachment/1126

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: wouldyou

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #169593 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Irish Truck Show
Sorry, no more Hino info.

The turntable looks home made at first but on closer inspection has professional looking jaws. It is made out of 1/4 inch plate and would seem to be just capable of pulling a 6x4 box trailer. It was on the back of the red Commer Knocker which looked about a 4 tonner, despite being a prime mover. It is much lower than my 8 ton Commer and running 8.25 tyres.

Maybe some sort of quick yard truck system? Possibly some sort of variation of this Scammel system?

Lang
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Lang.

More
8 years 2 months ago #169595 by Lang

More
8 years 2 months ago #169596 by Lang

More
8 years 2 months ago #169604 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Irish Truck Show

hayseed wrote: Thanks for sharing Lang. Looks Bloody interesting..

Any more info on the big Hino???
has a Bitsa/Hybrid look about it..

http://www.hcvc.com.au/forum/attachment/1112
http://www.hcvc.com.au/forum/attachment/1126

A Hino HE model was trialed by TNT here in Aus back in 1976 .... apparently not good ... but not bad either .... have spoken to some of its drivers over the years with mixed stories .... I actually lasted in the fleet for a fair while.

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
8 years 2 months ago #169605 by ianoz
Replied by ianoz on topic Irish Truck Show
Great Photos Lang , Thank you for sharing .

More
8 years 2 months ago #169613 by Merrick
Replied by Merrick on topic Irish Truck Show
These are great. Thanks.

Those timber sided trailers were neat.

More
8 years 2 months ago #169614 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Irish Truck Show
The Dennison (ugly blue bogie one) was an Irish make, they started out making trailers. Later versions of the cab looked better. In Europe they can have much heavier axle weights and what with good roads have no need for bogie drive ;) . The third axle will go down when they get near to full weight, ditto the trailers. Saves scrub related tyre wear. Never saw the benefit of lift axles in Aus because the authorities mandated no lift function and so you ended up with the downside of 6x2's :S .

More
8 years 2 months ago #169620 by Lang
A group of guys were standing near the F86 wood trailer and when they heard my accent commented that Australia was not the only place to have road trains.

The Aussie tipper blokes with their dog trailers would be pleased to hear they are considered road train drivers in Ireland.

The country roads are completely impossible for semi trailers in many places so twisty and narrow with stone walls either side. Eight wheelers are the go for heavy stuff but the super short single drive prime movers really help the trailers get into tight places.

We had to wait for half an hour on the south coast while a bus and car extricated themselves. Both vehicles were touching the walls on each side and the other vehicle in the centre. All at crawling pace and the only damage a car mirror.

The wood trailers (there was an almost identical Leyland outfit as well) were beautifully made - just for show.

Lang

Time to create page: 0.530 seconds