Skip to main content

Karrier rebuild

More
7 years 1 day ago - 7 years 1 day ago #188012 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Karrier rebuild
"And now the fun begins!"
Chassis back from sandblasters, tidied up and etch primer sprayed.
Started mocking up just where engine/transmission(s) have to sit, just sitting on top of the chassis at the moment. Bit of plumbing has to be modified, may get away without disturbing the crossmember that the main box is sitting on. Radiator was bolted to the actual cabin originally, can possibly use original transverse engine mount location. Fair bit of fabrication required re engine mount to chassis plates etc.
Replacement engine not as tall, but wider than original 4 banger Humber, so going to be a bit of panel beating required on engine hatch. Engine offset from centre line works out about one inch to drivers side as per original, if turbo clears chassis rail when lowered into chassis, may centralise it.
Cheers, Dave

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 1 day ago by Dave_64. Reason: Doubled up on photo
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 day ago - 7 years 1 day ago #188014 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic Karrier rebuild
Hmmmm? I realise it's not a Karrier, but, nice windscreen frames (and cab) - but unfortinately not for sale :( :dry: :whistle:
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 1 day ago by PDU.

More
7 years 1 day ago #188015 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Karrier rebuild
This is now the easy bit after all the gearbox mods ;)
What is the motor ??? You have no doubt told us but my brain aint as good as it should be

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
7 years 1 day ago #188024 by Dave_64
PDU, that shed looks in pretty good nick. Paul, sticker on top of engine says Perkins 4:203, handbook also tells me that one piece windscreen version of Bantam also came out with that engine. So, for the purpose of the exercise, what looks suspiciously like a Land Rover 2.5 litre turbo/ intercool engine may have been inadvertently dropped in. Hey, mistakes happen! Dave

More
7 years 21 hours ago #188053 by Dave_64
On the scrounge for a bit of info. Spent the day shoehorning the new engine/trans where it roughly has to sit, may have had a minor win as engine mounts/ crossmembers are within adapter plate spacings.
Seems I recall quite some time ago someone was asking about a chart for setting up driveline tolerances and allowable degrees variations, I'm sure I saw it on here somewhere.
I asked a driveline bloke and about all he really told me was the shorter the shaft, or the steeper the angle, the more critical it becomes. Think I read it on here that on a short shaft a tolerance of one or two degrees was tolerable (as in a jack shaft or transfer case shaft), get a bit more leeway over a longer length. Because I'm virtually starting from scratch, want to try and get as close as possible.
Just on that, I recall many years ago when tinkering with old jeeps, they use to run some really large offsets, sometimes up to two inches kicked sideways to allow for front diff clearances. So, would I be right in saying that as long as the corresponding flange faces are within allowable parallels, I may be able to get away with a bit of an offset in both the jackshaft as well as the rear tailshaft?? I reckon if I can scrounge an inch (25-30mm MAX) towards the passenger side, make life easier for myself with the transmission pump as well as the linkages. Remembering that the jack shaft is roughly the same length as an Inter 4X4 island setup, 8-10" max??
Rear tailshaft is quite a heavy unit, 4" O.D. but it will be shortened down to about 46" from original 68".
If anyone can direct me to a site who may have the relevant driveline specs, would be invaluable help. Remembering that I am hopeless on a computer, so the simpler the info the better. I'm no engineer, just a buffoon truck driver and an old burnt out one at that!
Many Thanks, Dave_64

More
7 years 17 hours ago - 7 years 17 hours ago #188074 by Oilman
Replied by Oilman on topic Karrier rebuild
Dave, I was looking at driveline angles for my Atkinson. From my recollection the angle you can run is impacted by the rpm and the universal operating life that you are looking for. I think I found the info I required on spicer website. For my application I worked out I could live with an 8 degree angle @ 2300rpm. I can't find the exact publication I used but these might be a starting point.

spicerparts.com/calculators/driveline-op...ing-angle-calculator

spicerparts.com/anglemaster/measuring-angles

1975 Atkinson, 180HP 6LXB Gardner, RTO910, 34000lb Rockwell on camelback
Last edit: 7 years 17 hours ago by Oilman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
7 years 16 hours ago #188076 by Vic Rhodes

More
7 years 16 hours ago #188078 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic Karrier rebuild
Dave,
Sent you an email with some info
Cheers Steve

More
7 years 43 minutes ago #188093 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic Karrier rebuild
Hey Dave, since your a bit of an experimenter, I thought I might plant a seed in your head- could you make up a driveshaft using CV joints?

More
6 years 11 months ago #188095 by Dave_64
D/D, that's a damn good question! Don't know really why not, very similar in principle to the old wartime "Rzeppa" front drive shafts, I think! I was kicking around the idea of overcoming a tight siuation once before with a very short driveline in a 2WD Jeep and the best way out of it was to try and use a double cardan shaft. Shafts and joints were worth more than the project. As to using the CV joint to make up a shaft, bet your life someone on this forum can give us the drum. Dave

Time to create page: 0.594 seconds