Skip to main content

Karrier rebuild

More
6 years 11 months ago #188099 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Karrier rebuild
Old v6 Commodores have one in the tailshaft.Make friends with a car pickup scrappie.They are dear new,Ford want $4000 for the joint in the 4x4 Courier tailshaft.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #188103 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Karrier rebuild
I had a front driveshaft on a Range Rover that had a CV joint on one end to eliminate the vibrations.

CV's and appropriate shafts are cheap as most rear wheel drive cars nowadays use them.

More
6 years 11 months ago #188106 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Karrier rebuild
Only thing I'd be a bit hesitant about is the size of the actual C.V.joints. Granted, the V6 Commode are quite a powerful engine for their size and application.
R/Rover would probably be worth looking at, possibly a bit heavier than Holden or Ford, but then being all-wheel drive, wouldn't torque be spread over both front and rear shafts?
Not that I'm saying that a 2.5litre turbodiesel is in the same league as any of the above mentioned engines, just that when you multiply the torque generated out the back of the auxilliary, but then again, probably no different than what would come out of the R/Rover transfer case??
Dunno, don't have any relevant figures.
Just on that point re the C.V. type joint on the front shaft, didn't they also tool around with a shaft that had a single conventional uni joint at the T/C end and a double cardan shaft joint at the other? May be thinking of extreme off road application?
Dave

More
6 years 11 months ago #188109 by JOHN.K.
Most rwd cars?With Holden and Falcon gone,are there any? The double uni was used in ithe earlier Landcruisers.very expensive as the complete unit had to be bought.In your application,if you keep the uni s small,the tailshaft light,and the angle under 8% ,i doubt there will be noticeable vibration.The army Acco 4x4 s had a very steep tailshaft angle,but with 1450 series unis and a light shaft,it worked without vibration.I put an Acco t/fer case into a Hino GT 4x4,and used the original very heavy shaft at the owners insistance,the vibration was so bad that the t/fer case attaching bolts kept coming loose.Same angle though.

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #188111 by Dave_64
Thanks John .K. Original uni joints were 1300 series Spicers, went up to 1330 and 1350, for the simple reason that they are relatively easy to get, plus I had a heap of new/good second hand yokes and replaced all the driveline unis with new ones.
Dave
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Dave_64.

More
6 years 11 months ago #188114 by JOHN.K.
1350 s should be good.Blitzes used them in the front shaft.I have always made up my own shafts,cut at the spline end,and alignment is easy to maintain.If the weld is trimmed to be even as possible,there s no need to balance.Looks like we ll be seeing the beast in a bread advert any day now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
6 years 11 months ago #188115 by JOHN.K.
The other side of the coin is unis in a straight line,rapid spline wear on the slipjoint.I set up my little D1310 with the 354 in it so the shaft was a straight line from box to diff.The slip joint behind the centre bearing would come loose very quickly.I think I made up three shafts over the years.

More
6 years 11 months ago #188122 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Karrier rebuild
Front engined rear wheel drive vehicles"?

Mercedes
BMW
Ford Mustang
Lots of Yank crap
Toyota
Nissan
LDV
Great Wall
Mitsubishi
Mazda

Then you have all the all wheel drive cars such as AUDI, VW, Skoda etc.

Let's just say there are lots of options.

More
6 years 11 months ago #188781 by Dave_64
Bit of an update, got the old girl in under cover, engine/trans (both) sitting in chassis on blocks until I get all the driveline angles where I want them, managed to salvage, with minor modifications, original crossmembers both Karrier and Dodge, subbed an engine mount out for a Bedford wafer type, had a bit of a win, picked up both original bellhousing mount points. Bloke came around other day and sprung me drilling out all the old 3/8" bolt holes and going up to 7/16" which I know is a bit of a mongrel size, ecxept for a lot of automotive stuff. Not all joints carry them, but have a specialty bolt shop in Ballarat. He made the point that the originals were deemed adequate at 3/8" hi tensile, why did I go up a size and get slugged the extra cost? Told him that I have this thing about 7/16" high tensile bolts, maybe an unhealthy obsession, like red headed women with green eyes, just something about them. Told me that he was beginning to worry now, but did add that no doubt someone would look into it and probably receive a government grant! The bolt size, NOT the redheaded green eyed colleens. Will add a few photos when I get all the components in place. Cheers, Dave

More
6 years 11 months ago #188788 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Karrier rebuild
Looking forward to the photos.......................of the Colleens.

Time to create page: 0.538 seconds