Skip to main content

FRUEHAUF SEMI-TRAILERS EARLY IMPORTS

More
11 years 4 months ago #90560 by bigcam
The bottom drawing of Hayseeds will be the axle with the 3 bolts holding the end cap on. The early Freuhaufs used these axles up to early to mid 70's I think, then they had the screw on end cap and square axles like in the top drawing.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #90561 by Ronny G
I will try again with the photos.
[IMG
[IMG
[IMG

More
11 years 4 months ago #90562 by bigcam
Well Ronnie, they are the same axles I've seen on the earlier Freuhauf's, to be honest I don't know if Propar made them. The Army had a heap of them as well.

More
11 years 4 months ago #90563 by Ronny G
Interesting that you mentioned the Army Cam.I also have this 34ft.Fruehauf,with the square axles and screw on caps.she is pretty straight and hope to do here up when I do the mack hopefully by 2015.I bought the deck also from Rapids in Adelaide a few years ago,and was told the Army sold a heap a while back and people ratted the sliding boggies and maybe made dollies out of them and left a few of these hardly used decks around.They were built a bit heavier than normal for the Army.She still has the original wood floor which I will have to do something with.Here are some photos,I will have to tell my son about the chemical he has spilt on the back.
[IMG
[IMG
[IMG
[IMG
[IMG

More
11 years 4 months ago #90564 by bigcam
That is a pretty original trailer Ron. I built a couple of Super Dog Tippers about 15 years ago with secondhand Propar running gear. Mine had 25 X 12 I think flat welded right around the hangers which I was told was a mod for Australia to beef them up. The Propar stuuf was good for dollies, being 100mm wide it goes onto 100 X 150 perfectly which is what a lot of dollies are made out of.

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #90565 by Debo
Hey Ronny, you've got some nice trailers there ;). thanks for posting the piccies as you've answered a few questions of mine like did the floor timbers run lengthways and my slider has the pins to lock into position but there is nothing attatched to the pins but I can see in your pics there is a linkage/lever to operate both pins. If you get a chance i'd love to know the serial numbers of those trailers and if they have a build date. Thanks again Debo ;)
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Debo.

More
11 years 4 months ago #90566 by Ronny G
Yes Paul,The R models are a good solid truck with a bit of character I reckon.I have another one a 1976 yellow and blue to stand in while we do the rust on the red one.Just got a few jobs to do to here first,was a photo on a previous post.What do you have? Ron

More
11 years 4 months ago #90567 by Mrsmackpaul
Ron I have got an R 600 plenty of rust it has a 320 cool power 12 speed on 58000 lbs waiting for some one to do up one of these cabs on here so I can see how to join the new roof back on ? getting the old roof off wont be a problem it also has some fatigue cracks in the windscreen pillars dont no weather this was common or not I think has a lot to do with the heavy back end rides as rough as with out a trailer on

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
11 years 4 months ago #90568 by Ronny G
Sounds good.Ihave another cab for mine but still needs work on it.Have to ask on restoration chat when I get onto it.Ron

More
11 years 4 months ago #90569 by Ronny G
Hi Debo,I found a plate with some nos. on my trailer with the spring suspension and wooden floor.they were as follows, SN 24123
130110 OFMOOZ or OFM00Z
6 - 73
The deck I bought and was Ex Army and hardly if any use at all.Apparently there were a few of these trailers sold some time ago I assume in Adelaide, and people ratted the sliding boggies to make dollies,and the decks were left laying around. I bought another old one with no floor and used that boggie for this good deck.
It looks like it was built in 73,and the serial no on top but dont know if anyone can make anything out of the other nos.I saw a plate on the other trailer but need some thinners to see if there are any numbers under the paint and not sure where the trailer is as the boys have moved paddocks, so when no 1 son thinks I am working I will try and get a look and see if it ties up with the date on that newspaper add. Ron

Time to create page: 0.517 seconds