Skip to main content

Getting this 86' 6 cyl Trader work ready

More
1 week 5 days ago #252373 by roKWiz
Cab work and 10ft paint job.....Ford Stark white.

Think I was super lucky painting outside in late Spring, given bugs, wind and unsettled weather we were having then.

It was time for some Holden Goldrush Gold.

Right side done, now to repeat on the left hand side.

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, oliver1950

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 week 5 days ago #252374 by roKWiz
Left side came out OK though I did have some problems area's using the little gun I had.

Black pinstripping was next, I was using SAAS stick on stuff at first to do all but found the 9mm black would not go around the curves  (just like on the Louisville) and wanted to peel itself off.

So the simply answer was to hand paint the curved stripes myself using Rustoleum black. I've been practicing a little on other bits but I ain't no Choc's.

More soon.

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, eerfree, Mrsmackpaul, Normanby, PaulFH, asw120, wee-allis, oliver1950

More
1 week 5 days ago #252377 by cobbadog
Looks brilliant, well done 

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: roKWiz

More
1 week 5 days ago #252378 by Gryphon
Hi,

can you post a better picture or two of your work trolley?

Terry
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, roKWiz

More
1 week 5 days ago #252381 by PDU
Nice black stripes roKWiz, where would we be without rustoleum and 10ft paint jobs . . . perhaps you can come and do the 10mm wide ones I want to add to the INTAVA logo on my Bedford?    

The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, roKWiz

More
1 week 5 days ago #252383 by Mrsmackpaul
I dunno about "I aint no Chocs" he started some where as well and by some of the photos he showed me of when he first started having a go
Your doing okay, struth I remember painting my Federal and some how believed the information given to me

Under coat isn't needed and use petrol instead of thinners

Well the paint went on all tickety boo but after having wee bevie waiting for it to dry, I was stunned when I went back to check it
It was all runs and sliding off on the vertical surfaces

I got more petrol out and wiped that mess off and into the bin with it

Yours stayed on the cab, your about 10 million percent better than I am

Well done

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, roKWiz, wee-allis

More
1 week 4 days ago - 1 week 4 days ago #252388 by roKWiz
Thanks so much for everyone's encouragement. Might even have a go at painting the signs to be done on this one yet.

After the other trucks front one faded, I took the only set I had left to a local company to be reproduced, they didn't respond and after numerous phone calls, I later found they had lost them and hoped I would forget about them ??

P*ssed off, I had a go at painting a new one.

Before......

after.........

Gryphon. Here's the little KW pull truck, I made for swap meets.

Heritage Stonemason
Last edit: 1 week 4 days ago by roKWiz.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, eerfree, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, asw120, wee-allis, oliver1950

More
1 week 4 days ago #252392 by PDU

So aptly named roKWiz, you are definitely a whiz - and both trucks look fabulous. 

​​​​​​With your black stripes did you mask either side or paint them freehand? Masking around curves is a pain and is why I have chosen to leave the black lines on my INTAVA logo for now (on the back doors of my Bedfrord)  although I will probably end up painting them laboriously, and slowly, freehand!?

The black lines around the "aeroplane" letters in the middle are much finer and I might use a permanent marking pen instead. No sniggering and scoffing at this in the background fellas, I have done this on three yellow steps at the Crystal Brook Heritage Centre to replace safety tape that proved to be useless - despite being in the weather and with regular foot traffic they have survived quite well for at least 18 months so far.   
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, roKWiz, wee-allis

More
1 week 4 days ago #252395 by roKWiz

So aptly named roKWiz, you are definitely a whiz - and both trucks look fabulous. 

​​​​​​With your black stripes did you mask either side or paint them freehand? Masking around curves is a pain and is why I have chosen to leave the black lines on my INTAVA logo for now (on the back doors of my Bedfrord)  although I will probably end up painting them laboriously, and slowly, freehand!?

The black lines around the "aeroplane" letters in the middle are much finer and I might use a permanent marking pen instead. No sniggering and scoffing at this in the background fellas, I have done this on three yellow steps at the Crystal Brook Heritage Centre to replace safety tape that proved to be useless - despite being in the weather and with regular foot traffic they have survived quite well for at least 18 months so far.   
Thanks mate. 
I used the ultra thin (4mm)  blue masking tape on the longer straight stretches on door lines, brushed between, the same tape was used on the tighter curves but only on the lower edge so any extra paint would only drip over the masking tape.
I wouldn't remotely call it professional in anyway but it works for me.

Maybe a paint liner pen (touch up pen) would be good for those finer lines.

Heritage Stonemason
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, wee-allis, PDU, oliver1950

More
1 week 4 days ago - 1 week 4 days ago #252397 by PDU
Thanks; what is a paint pen? Guess I'll hit Googlepedia and find out.

I liked your ten foot paint job comment also, no doubt my 6 at 60 paint job (metres@kph) is around the same standard.  
Last edit: 1 week 4 days ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: roKWiz

Time to create page: 0.521 seconds