Skip to main content

Licences

More
13 years 7 months ago #45276 by tim
Licences was created by tim
Here's one for Sarge, it's only a what if but I would love to know the answer.

Joe Blow is driving down the road in a bogie drive prime mover,bobtail, he gets pulled up for a licence check and here's the question.

Joe has got a heavy rigid licence.

Is he allowed to drive a prime mover, without a trailer attached, on a heavy rigid licence or does he have to have a heavy combination licence.
As I said it's a what if question.
Cheers Tim :-/

1989 FORD F350 Lariat Crewcab Dually

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #45277 by kenny-mopar
Replied by kenny-mopar on topic Re: Licences
far as i know if hes not towing just the HR licence ..as on the compliance plate it will have both a gvm and a gcm ..you abide by the gvm when no trailer is hooked up ..by the way if you drive any rigid truck with a trailer over 9 ton gtm(gross trailer mass) you need a semi licence

More
13 years 7 months ago #45278 by Rusty Engines
Replied by Rusty Engines on topic Re: Licences
Hi
In Queensland I can drive a Prime Mover NO TRAILER on my HR Licence I have done it when taking my son

More
13 years 7 months ago #45279 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: Licences
I was told in 2003 when I did my licence that even with an HR I could not drive a prime mover bobtail however put a box or something over the turntable so it could not be used and I would be right.

the reason given was that people were dropping trailers and parking up away from it when they heard the inspectors were about.

IN my opinion if the driver could do that without being seen the inspectors were not much good so the driver deserved to get the benefit of the doubt.

JBlair what did they tell you when you upgraded your licence recently?

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
13 years 7 months ago #45280 by
Replied by on topic Re: Licences
Just to add to the confusion...

When getting my licence, the tester told me that you could drive a prime mover bobtailed on a HR licence....

[ch729][ch647]sod [ch654][ch623] s[ch305] [ch477]u[ch305][ch1503] s[ch305][ch613][ch647] [ch653]o[ch

More
13 years 7 months ago #45281 by Stew70
Replied by Stew70 on topic Re: Licences
This is a subject that I have been stewing over too. Only because I didn't know the exact answer.

I'd heard a cupla years ago that you could drive a prime mover on HR licence as long as not towing.

Ya see this has a profound influence on my first project. Do I upgrade to HC or not.

Having said that, I want to upgrade anyway. But it would be nice to know yes or no...

regards Stew.

13 years 7 months ago #45282 by
Bparo I did a HC recently. So not an issue for me any more! ;D

However I always believed the rules are as interstater indicated. A rigid license to cover the gvm and axle group of the prime mover was adequate. Covering turntable good idea or remove trailer lines etc. Would reinforce this.

You require a HC whenever you trailer weight exceeds towing vehicle. Eg dog and trailer tippers!

I have driven a number of prime movers prior to getting my HC. Never with a trailer. And never with operational trailer connections.

One other example to clear this up. When doing my HC training I did see another school running around. Their vehicle was an obvious prime mover (think bonnet kenworth ). But it had a box over the hitch like weight box the heavy haulage guys use. My instructor indicated that this set up was regularly used by some schools for HR. So the same truck could be used for HC and HR!

13 years 7 months ago #45283 by
Heavy Combination (HC)
You may drive a prime mover or single semi trailer exceeding 9 tonne, or rigid vehicle plus trailer greater than 9 tonnes GVM. A Mass and Dimension permit may also be required. Check with VicRoads by calling 13 11 71.
To apply for this category you must have held an Australian car driver licence for at least 24 months, including Medium Rigid or Heavy Rigid licence for at least 12 months

Heavy Rigid (HR)
You may drive any rigid vehicle with three or more axles, including bus or truck, greater than 8 tonnes GVM. You may tow a single trailer (other than a semi trailer) up to 9 tonne GVM or to the manufacturer's specifications (whichever is less).
To apply for this category you must have held an Australian car driver licence for at least 24 months.

www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Licences/Ot...icencecategories.htm

You blokes could look up the authority in your state and get the answer first hand instead of second guessin !

Its a prime mover!!!

Enjoy ;)

13 years 7 months ago #45284 by
Just to add extra to this :D

The truck I did my HC in was also used for MC!

(yes I know still prime mover just question of number of trailers)

But a prime mover has to be registered to run as a MC prior to running as such!

13 years 7 months ago #45285 by
And just to add a little more!!!

HC: registration nominates to tow one trailer only
MC = b double
MC / roadtrain number of trailers must be nominated.. additional rego charge per trailer added to the prime mover rego

Air lines or Turntable covered is bull$hit..those trucks are registered as a

Time to create page: 0.557 seconds