Skip to main content

Licences

13 years 7 months ago #45296 by
Replied by on topic Re: Licences
OK guys i am going to add one from Left Field.

What licence is required to ride a 800cc Polaris Quad Bike on the Roads in Victoria, and before you go and say you cant register a Quad Bike, YES you can.

Trevor

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #45297 by
Trevor - Is it registered on a full rego, or just a 3rd party rego? I can see no reason why a quad wouldn't be issued with a full rego, if it meets all the required rego regulations and roadworthiness, regarding lighting, signalling, braking, mudguards, tyres, etc.

However, I don't know of any current quad bikes that can be put on full rego .. because they are regarded in all States as being unable to meet road regulations, that apply to all vehicles.

Victoria appears to have a similar system to W.A., in that it issues "recreational" rego's to off-road vehicles and bikes. In W.A., it's called an "off-road" rego.

www.land.vic.gov.au/DSE/nrenrt.nsf/LinkV...E91ECA25725D001F1295

NSW has similar laws relating to quad bikes, but they contain more conditions ..

www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/download...et/atv_quad_bike.pdf

You can register (in fact, you are OBLIGED to register), any equipment, of any type, that traverses, or works on a road.

Thus, any farm, turf, or ag equipment (apart from unpowered trailing implements) has to have a number plate on it, if it crosses a road, works on the road verge, or on the road itself.

I used to have to rego my Cat bulldozers anytime we did road widening jobs, where clearing was required to be done.
This dozer rego is not a full rego, it's what's known as a 3rd party rego, and is done to ensure that the vehicle is covered by the State Insurance Commission, that handles injury claims resulting from collisions on gazetted roads.

All road-working equipment, from rollers to graders, to hot mix machines, have to have a 3rd party rego.
A powered grader can be put on full rego if it's equipped with all the necessary lights and indicators.

This "3rd party" type of limited rego doesn't authorise full road use (for obvious reasons, when bulldozers are involved). It does not authorise powered farming equipment of any type, to full road use, if that equipment doesn't meet rego requirements (lighting, signal equipment, and other regulations) .. but which has to traverse or travel along roads between properties.

Anyway .. regardless of the type of rego, you would still need a motor bike licence of over 250cc capacity, to ride a quad on, or along a road. They are regarded as a bike, and I'll think you'll fnd the rego classification is "bike."

We've had a episode here in the last week along these lines. The cops grabbed a bloke driving a big lawnmower, who was cutting the grass verge.
They nailed him for no drivers licence (his licence was suspended) .. and they nailed his employer for having an unregistered lawnmower. :'(

Cheers - Ron.

More
13 years 7 months ago #45298 by poppi
Replied by poppi on topic Re: Licences
I just read all this well i'm confused can you or not YES OR NO

More
13 years 7 months ago #45299 by tim
Replied by tim on topic Re: Licences
Poppi, I'm with you mate, I don't know. I already have my HC licence so I don't have a problem, but this has come up in discussions & the answers were just as varied as they are on here.

I guess the only thing to come out of all this is that there is discussion, so thats gotta be a good thing.

It's probably up to the officer on the day. Cya Tim :-/

1989 FORD F350 Lariat Crewcab Dually

More
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #45300 by rusted
Replied by rusted on topic Re: Licences
The answer is yes as per previous posts. The local driving school has one truck... a bogie pm...if the guy is going for an HR licence they drive around bobtail and that's how he does his test. If he's going for an HC they hook the trailer on. End of story really.
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by rusted.

More
13 years 7 months ago #45301 by 653Detroit
Replied by 653Detroit on topic Re: Licences
All this talk about licences and rego seems a few are stuck on the roundabout and are not sure how to get off its a bit of a no brainer really. :-X :-/ :o

13 years 7 months ago #45302 by
Ron

We cant get to much past you can we.

Yes it on conditional rego had to jump through a few hoops to get it registered including a letter from my local council to state what it was being used for, can be riden on the road in conjuction with work being done and travel to and from job sites.

Regarding licence.
Rider does not require a motorbike licence as it is treated the same as a piece of plant equipment as they dont have a catagory for Quad bikes.

Regarding the bloke being caught with the mower, ANY ride on mower being used to cut roadside reservations require registration, but so many do not have it, ok until something happens like flick a rock through a car window then the cops will throw the book at you.

Trevor

More
13 years 7 months ago #45303 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: Licences
Tim,
in answer to your question.....
firstly neither the Police or Vicroads make the rules
secondly they do not Judge....

they apply the rules as they have been told/trained/taught... if the punter does not like the application of the rules, disputes the interpretation etc then its off to a real Judge... once Judged, that becomes the answer or interpretation until the next punter disputes the application.....

what does it all mean.... most of my tribe would not be looking for a semi licence for a prime mover alone, but I am sure there will be someone somewhere who will out of ignorance issue a ticket that will need to be disputed....

sadly comon sense and legal interpretation are not the same thing.... we lose court cases on technicalities quite often, not because the drink driving bloke was sober but because he was blind drunk and we apparently did not make it 100% clear to him he could refuse to have a test (and take that penalty instead) and now the drug dealers will be let off/released because of some charter of rights that was rushed in by the last mob.... even though they are still drug dealers....

I hope that helps.....

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
13 years 7 months ago #45304 by tim
Replied by tim on topic Re: Licences
G'day Sarge, thanks for that Mate. I was not trying to put you on the spot there but just trying to get an answer to a question that had arisen in a discussion. As you can see by the many replies opinions were quite divided.
Cheers Tim :)

1989 FORD F350 Lariat Crewcab Dually

Time to create page: 0.524 seconds