Skip to main content

Licences

13 years 7 months ago #45286 by
Replied by on topic Re: Licences
And our trucks aren't registered they are running under a permit :D

I haven't heard of convertible truck rego before!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #45287 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Licences
I'm with Adam, it isn't a semi trailer until the trailer is hooked up. To state the obvious, if you are driving a truck that is registered as a B double or a road train with one trailer behind it, you only require a HC license, hook the extra trailer up and you need an MC. Same as you can drive a bus with a HR license as long as you arn't carrying passengers. In Queensland, you can drive a prime mover with out a trailer with a HR license, covering up the turntable is something I've never heard of.
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by bigcam.

13 years 7 months ago #45288 by
And for the queenslanders! :D :D

Licence code
Type of motor vehicle
RE (motorbike)

13 years 7 months ago #45289 by
It seems pretty straight-forward to me! On a HR licence, "you may drive ANY rigid vehicle with three or more axles, including bus or truck, greater than 8 tonnes GVM."

A prime mover without a trailer, is a 3 axle RIGID truck, is it not? What's to argue about?
You don't have a trailer connected .. no need for articulated licence! Simple! :D

www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Licences/Ot...icencecategories.htm

More
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #45290 by hoarder1
Replied by hoarder1 on topic Re: Licences
Onetrack is right. Don't make it anymore complicated than it needs to be. Some of you blokes are confusing driving licences with vehicle registration categories. :o

And of course, you can drive any 'smaller' class of vehicle than the highest on your licence. A Multi-Combination means you can drive road trains, B doubles and triples, Semi trailers, body trucks, down to cars. Motorcycles are separate.

Then of course there are laws which say where and when you can drive these classes of vehicles.

Australian states have had a national system of heavy vehicle driving licences for years now. There may be very minor variations, but we are all under the same scheme essentially.

Collector and admirer of ye olde crappe.  I'm interested in researching and collecting old numb
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by hoarder1.

13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #45291 by

Onetrack is right. Don't make it anymore complicated than it needs to be. Some of you blokes are confusing driving licences with vehicle registration categories. :o

why post the same link?

And of course, you can drive any 'smaller' class of vehicle than the highest on your licence. A Multi-Combination means you can drive road trains, B doubles and triples, Semi trailers, body trucks, down to cars. Motorcycles are separate.

Then of course there are laws which say where and when you can drive these classes of vehicles.

Australian states have had a national system of heavy vehicle driving licences for years now. There may be very minor variations, but we are all under the same scheme essentially.

so just to add to the confusen, why repeat what's just been said ? :-?

Vehicle registartion categories has a direct link to the licensing requirements...
otherwise why would there be any classes at all????

Re: Licences
Reply #7 - Today at 21:33:42
Heavy Combination (HC)
You may drive a prime mover or single semi trailer exceeding 9 tonne

Heavy Rigid (HR)
You may drive any rigid vehicle with three or more axles, including bus or truck

a prime mover is not a rigid, a rigid has a body fitted...

More
13 years 7 months ago #45292 by hoarder1
Vehicle registration is what you do every year when you pay to be able to have that vehicle driven on the road by SOMEONE.

A driving licence is what you need to be that SOMEONE.

Collector and admirer of ye olde crappe.  I'm interested in researching and collecting old numb

More
13 years 7 months ago #45293 by paul404
Replied by paul404 on topic Re: Licences
HR is all you need. You would find most truck mechanics only have a HR licence to test drive trucks regardless of what they tow. Rarely do you need to test drive a trailer. HR will also cover a 8x4.
Anyone with a Hr thinking of upgrading should seriously consider going straight to MC. Then it's done and you can tow anything.

13 years 7 months ago #45294 by

Vehicle registration is what you do every year when you pay to be able to have that vehicle driven on the road by SOMEONE.

A driving licence is what you need to be that SOMEONE.

www.wisegeek.com/what-is-forum-etiquette.htm

More
13 years 7 months ago #45295 by hoarder1
I'm not sure what I've done to upset you Assessor. If you read my post I was agreeing with what you'd written in your earlier posts.

I don't see the relevance in posting a link to a discussion on Forum Etiquette, but seeing as how you brought it up- is there any mention of self-appointed moderators posting links to outside websites which have bugger all to do with the present discussion, and in other people's opinions is unwarranted? :D

I'm going to play in the shed. You can be in charge of the forum tonight if you want. ::)

Time to create page: 0.558 seconds