Skip to main content

New to these truck

More
2 months 2 weeks ago - 2 months 2 weeks ago #252947 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic New to these truck
In fact......the early IH trucks had normal Budd type wheel nuts ....IE inner wheel held on by the inner sqare head nut,outer dual held on by the big outer nut .......if the nuts are stuck together and the inner comes loose ,you got a problem.............partly for this reason,and partly to eliminate breakage of the 3/4 UNF stud,IH modified the wheel fixing by removing the taper shoulder from the inner ,square headed nut,and slight modification to the wheel nut holes  ..........so that both nuts come off together ,and the duals are held on only by the outer large hex nut........IIRC this change happened about 1965................Trying to fit aluminium wheels by the Budd nut system would be extremely dangerous ,and would result in the wheels coming off the hubs in short order.
Last edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by JOHN.K..
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #252948 by Foxy
Replied by Foxy on topic New to these truck
So I only have the one wheel but and the rims are squashed together. I got one of the teas off to put on the front so now it will roll!

More
2 months 2 weeks ago - 2 months 2 weeks ago #252949 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic New to these truck
The front /single wheel will be held on by large hex nuts with a 3/4UNF thread ..............Its also possible to hold the front wheel on with the inner /square 3/4UNF nut,but this is normally only done on the 4x4 trucks.....................I should add ,the later system was only used on Australian trucks,and only on 5 or 6 stud wheels .......the 10 stud wheels on the 190s etc ,still used the standard US Budd system............this will apply to any US import truck with Budd wheels.......................I have assumed you know the nuts are LH and RH thread ,and have some experience of truck wheels ...................I take no responsibility whatso ever for any dangerous act you may perform on truck wheels ,and my information is for information only .......you are not to rely on anythin I have said as bein correct or safe to do.
Last edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by JOHN.K..
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #252957 by Foxy
No I am complete novice to trucks . I have managed to get the left rear wheel off and out on the right front. I will definitely be doing my homework on everything I do . 
So do you believe it’s possible to go to the 10 bolt system . If I get a chance I will post pics 

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #252960 by 180wannabe
Replied by 180wannabe on topic New to these truck
I think you should find the engine number on a flat machined surface directly below the front exhaust manifold stud.  I would expect it to start with ASD240.

Regarding wheels, i think it will be very unlikely to find alloy rims to fit your 5 stud hubs.

Brett.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago - 2 months 2 weeks ago #252964 by Foxy
Ok will see how I go . That’s down the track anyway 
Last edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by Foxy.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #252973 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic New to these truck
There were many different stud patterns over the years
so many different ones that almost make the head spin
There are companies around that do bolt on conversion kits for wheels, just need to no wear to look

And before the fun police jump pn the band wagon, these are fully engineered and load rated for full load use, just as the truck would be deaigned to be used

If you want some more information let me know, I have no connection at all to any of this, just different stuff I have spotted over the years and made note of 

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
  • The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH, wee-allis, oliver1950

More
    2 months 2 weeks ago #252976 by Foxy
    Found the Eng number 
    The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul

More
    2 months 2 weeks ago #252977 by Foxy
    These are the levers in my truck 
    Attachments:

More
    2 months 2 weeks ago #252978 by Foxy
    This is some of the rust found . From mice in the truck. I did try post a. Video but it did not work. 

that. The worst of it 
  • The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.546 seconds