Skip to main content

Forum Slowdown

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #253731 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Forum Slowdown

I would hate to lose this Forum. It is the only forum I am on but I have to agree that fewer and fewer appear to be using it now. It cannot be helped that a lot of members are no longer using it purely because of increasing age or ill health but others appear to have stopped for reasons described by others above. I have tried to get on to Facebook but have not been successful.
It is difficult to teach an old dog new tricks.

without casting any dispersions

Do you find it challenging Morris every time the forum is upgraded ?
I for one do, I'm in my 50's and it takes a while to get used to each time 

If my father was still about, he would of been 80 this year, he would just say it is all to hard and stop

I still haven't worked out how to quote comments since the last upgrade, hence the red writing so it is easier for people to find comment in the quote

Facebook is relatively easy to use compared to the forum 

And as I mentioned once before, no matter what was googled truck wise, this forum would come up in the Google search 

If I search for Mack trucks, the Mack truck forum appears at the top of the list

I feel something has changed in the forum with a the upgrades that Google no longer see's 
And this would have a huge impact on new people arriving on the forum
I have raised this before, perhaps it needs looking into further, or perhaps I don't know my ass from my elbow

But most of us would of found forum from a Google search, or at least I did

Anyway, it's Sunday and I'm gunna go play tractors

Paul 

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, asw120

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #253732 by Bobsboy
Replied by Bobsboy on topic Forum Slowdown
Ya well,

I sort of think that COVID more or less knocked the stuffing out of most social interaction and community participation/ building.

Befor that I think we all collectively wanted to believed something better would come along socially and that we could all sort of have our little say and be part of that social evolution.

As it turned out, we don't.

We locked ourselves down, gathered around us the people and things that we could touch and feel and ordered all the other things we wanted fresh and new from the interweb and had it delivered to our door by one of the few major distribution netweorks.
bwwik?

I personally want to be more positive and optomistic about life and the world, but the things around me that used to matter (i.e. Society, Community and the Individual) seem to have monetised and sold or bougtht  by the biggest Global Corporates or Global Fund Managers.  
bwwik

If you want to be an indiidual and have a go... well, someone somewhere has a Franchise Opportunity for you to buy into...

Next level down is to really do something off your own back and pay huge rents, pay huge interest rates and then huge premiums for insurance.  (all by the way that ends up in the pockets of Huge Corporates).
bwwik?

Its all a bit off topic from "Forum Slowdown", but this is the price we pay for Globalised Capitalism.
If it doesnt have a financial bottom line, or opportunity to make a buck or be explioted in some other way, it just falls by the way side.

Not enough houses?  Not enough opportunities for the next generation?  Well, take it up with the post WW2 generation.  We have our investment strategies in place and if the next gen don't want to pay, then they cant play.
bwwik?

Meanwhile, we have 6 different kinds of wars going on all around us, famines, poverty, social injustices and we (collectively) seem to be more concerned with the financial implications of what we do and the price of money.
bwwik?

Gee the Forum is Slow.

bwwik?
cya
-b 

Mucking about on the edge
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, roKWiz

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #253733 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Forum Slowdown
This conversation is being had on the three fora, of which I am a member. All those fora have one thing in common, the bulk of the members are mature in age and attitude. There are exceptions, like that youg bloke, Paul, who is only mature in character. Unlike facebook, a friendly jibe or teasing is not going to start world war lll.
Also, unlike facebook, anything posted can be found long after the post was made, an invaluable resource. 

It seems that the sign in hicoughup is hit and miss,. You blokes having trouble, do you tick the 'Remember me' box?
The inability to quote on an Android device is definitely a pain.

Anyway, keep posting fellows,I enjoy your cyber company and would miss you all, if the forum ceased to be.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
2 weeks 2 days ago - 2 weeks 2 days ago #253734 by grumpy gumpy
Replied by grumpy gumpy on topic Forum Slowdown
Mmmm, typed out a reply and it went missing when submitted……
gumpy
Last edit: 2 weeks 2 days ago by grumpy gumpy.

More
2 weeks 1 day ago - 2 weeks 1 day ago #253735 by jon_d
Replied by jon_d on topic Forum Slowdown
Interesting post Swishy.  I couldn't agree more.  Trying to run a bsiness, everyone has their hand in your pocket.

From the average joe perspective, then there is; insurance, rates and simply living.  I think the crunch is coming pretty soon for even house owners.
I'm not sure how the local councils will react when people can't pay rates, or insurance or something.

Re: forums.  I know 2. One closed recently, the other is closing soon. Lot of the others I visit are quiet as.
Last edit: 2 weeks 1 day ago by jon_d.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #253736 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Forum Slowdown
Maybe the cost of living crisis we are apparently having is having a effect
Maybe people don't have any disposable income to spend on toys so are not sharing their adventure as no adventures at the moment

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Dave_64

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #253737 by 77louie400
Replied by 77louie400 on topic Forum Slowdown
Crikies I didn't realize things were that bad, I thought the Forum was a bit slow, I did not realize the wheels had fallen of the whole shit show, I do a few days' work here and there, plod around the farm go to town when I need something cruising a long thinking things have never been better. The only thing I watch on telie is the ABC news surly they would have told me if things were that bad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64

More
2 weeks 1 day ago - 2 weeks 1 day ago #253738 by 77louie400
Replied by 77louie400 on topic Forum Slowdown

Maybe the cost of living crisis we are apparently having is having a effect
Maybe people don't have any disposable income to spend on toys so are not sharing their adventure as no adventures at the moment

Paul

Paul when people say they have no disposable income ask how much they spend on coffee or smokes every day then you will know why they don't have any disposable income.
Last edit: 2 weeks 1 day ago by 77louie400.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #253741 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Forum Slowdown
Whilst it seems that most forums have slowed right down in recent years, I am a member of quite a few different ones ... Here, a couple of machinery ones, a bus one, a rego plate one to name a few ... I think the real gold in these forums is the older information that can (usually) searched up more easily than, say, Facebook. I check in almost everyday to see what's going on ... But often i only find stuff that I want to read .. not comment on ... Usually as someone else has posted pretty much what I would have said.
I do, however, use the forum for research info on the many, many projects I have under research at any given time. This goes for all the forums I'm part of ... They are all a great source of info ... Even if it is from past members ... Or members passed ... The info is here for as long as we choose to keep it there ... Not like most modern forms of social media, which can often have a great post buried withing a day of it being posted and very hard to search for due to the algorithms etc.

Anyway ... I'll keep dipping my toe in everyday... And I'll dive right in when I feel it necessary.

Keep the dream alive lads ... And ladettes 

Werk
aka Darren 

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Dave_64, eerfree, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, 77louie400, PaulFH, roKWiz, V8Ian

More
2 weeks 1 day ago - 2 weeks 1 day ago #253743 by roKWiz
Replied by roKWiz on topic Forum Slowdown
I'm finding this forum quite easy to navigate compared to others I sometimes view.

Agree with others regarding finding forum archive posts which becomes part of it's history unlike other media. 
When the ATHS forum shut down it lost all those years of conversation and information from many a great contributor.

On switching to only facebook (which I don't do, but could view when it was public) similar to the current HCVC one, but have now shut their doors and made it private.
Now we have youtube to watch and interact with but sadly even this is now heading into a subscribed content (Patreon) type viewing.

Contributors on YT are now finding the platform is not providing their riches they thought they would get, with most of the truck and car content now slowing down due to to much stuff and not enough cash.

As others have stated, the cost of fixing up old shit has become not a viable hobby.it once was so there's less to talk about in these times.

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did
Last edit: 2 weeks 1 day ago by roKWiz.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64, Mrsmackpaul

Time to create page: 0.514 seconds