Skip to main content

Forum Slowdown

More
1 week 5 days ago #253789 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Forum Slowdown
That was way back in May and maybe at the time the intention was to run both print and digital versions but I did wonder if there was some misrepresentation happening.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 week 5 days ago #253793 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Forum Slowdown
They have lost me with the digital stuff. I'm old school and I can't take the computer to the dunny like I could with the magazine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, roKWiz

More
1 week 5 days ago #253794 by grumpy gumpy
Replied by grumpy gumpy on topic Forum Slowdown
That’s why I got an iPad……I won’t tell you where I’m sitting right now…..
Gumpy
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, asw120, roKWiz

More
1 week 5 days ago - 1 week 4 days ago #253796 by Gryphon
Replied by Gryphon on topic Forum Slowdown
Hi,

I would say that the 'complimentary' online access to the vault is the beginning of the move to stop printing, it is pretty common approach.

You provide an online version along with the print version to get people used to the idea of reading online. Next step is to provide some incentive to subscribe to the online edition either by discounted cost or it is available earlier than the printed edition, the idea being to get as many to go across to an online edition voluntarily. Then depending on the number of subscribers they have left on the print copy mailing list they make a decision to stop printing and potentially lose a percentage of subscribers, however it will be less than had they just stopped printing and said online only.

With any number of online sites that allow you to read any publication you like for nothing or minimal cost, none of which goes to the creator of the publication, then it is just another reason why printed magazines are struggling to survive.

For subscribers it comes down to whether the content is more important than the medium on that is provided, however if subscribers don't move to online editions to support the creators then there will be no new content created so the print vs online preference issue becomes a moot point.

Terry

Last edit: 1 week 4 days ago by Gryphon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, asw120

More
1 week 4 days ago #253797 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Forum Slowdown
Terry

I think you are right about print/on-line. 

I personally have dropped a number of magazines because on-line gives you nothing but a light on a computer screen. With print you can read it any where any time, take it with you to show somebody or quickly get it off the coffee table to read while the missus gets dinner ready. Years later it is there for reference if you are a collector type. It is also "something for your money".

My wife likes Kindle books but as long as I can still read there is only reading paper and turning the page for me.

Just a bit of spelling: it is a moot point not a mute point. From the Viking councils that were called Moots. ie up for discussion. Mute almost means the opposite.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, asw120, oliver1950

More
1 week 4 days ago #253798 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Forum Slowdown
Is it possible phone them or send an email asking them what's going on rather than hanging by your dangle bits?

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
1 week 4 days ago #253800 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Forum Slowdown
I'm on a few Forums and currently have responsibility to run the ozrodders.com Forum.

This covers pre 1966 hot rods and custom cars and has almost 12,000 members but if it sees 10 posts in a week, it's been a busy week.

I don't have the answer to why they slow down. I know the problem posting photos on Ozrodders alienates a lot of people.

If that Forum doesn't pick up in the next 12 months I'll shut it down or try and find someone to take it over.

I pay all the costs of that Forum and I worked out it costs me about $2.00 for each post that is put on it.

The Forum has a huge quantity of irreplaceable information, but at some point enough is enough.

I've seen more than 20 Forums close in the last 2 years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
1 week 20 hours ago #253857 by 77louie400
Replied by 77louie400 on topic Forum Slowdown

Is it possible phone them or send an email asking them what's going on rather than hanging by your dangle bits?

My wife has been trying to contact Jarrah publishing for over a week by email and Phone with as yet no response, wait and see I guess.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul

More
1 week 6 hours ago #253861 by Normanby
Replied by Normanby on topic Forum Slowdown
I have been a long time subscriber to TOMM and a few other magazines. My TOMM subscription renewal form was included with my latest magazine so I renewed online late in September. The form gives two subscription options: As per form Online Membership $79 (Best Value) ; TOMM Membership $99. I paid the $99 sub as I too like reading a physical magazine. The $99 membership includes a full digital membership as well which is sent to you email address on the 1st on the issue month, also when the printed copies are posted so anyone interested in early reading of the for sale items will need to use the online issue. I have not bought a TOMM issue for many years at a newsagent so don't know if and when they are available there.
Another magazine I subscribed to for many years was the UK's STATIONARY ENGINE magazine which I liked because of its mix of different types of old engine articles from contributors from many other countries. However Kelsey Publishing closed the SEM without prior notice with the October 2024 issue because it was no longer economical! Unused subscriptions were transferred to their OLD GLORY magazine with a very reduced section of ten pages in the OG mag of 108 pages with the same editor for this section from SEM. I have just received my first copy so not yet decided whether I will renew this sub when it expires. Too much content removed from SEM to be acceptable for me.
Gerry.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Mrsmackpaul

More
1 week 3 hours ago #253866 by 77louie400
Replied by 77louie400 on topic Forum Slowdown
Deb spoke to Jarrah publishing this morning, all is good they had issues. July-august didn't happen due to major issues with getting it published, there will be an extra edition at the end of the year to compensate for the missed one, the current edition is in the mail. They are not going all online, we will continue to get paper copies if you wish.   
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, asw120, wee-allis

Time to create page: 0.604 seconds