Skip to main content

Info on RAAF vehicles

More
10 years 4 months ago #144023 by Dave_64
Hi All,

Got to thinking recently (comes with old age!) and I don't know if this really qualifies here, but reckon a few of you knowledgable chaps would no doubt have an answer or two.

It concerns a couple of Air Force vehicles, probably late sixties/early seventies.

One was I think an AUTOCAR day cab prime mover, used as a heavy haulage float when the RAAF had it's own airfield construction unit. Somebody or other thinks it may have been placed in storage at Pt Cook at one time, but since that land had all been sold to commercial developers, maybe got lost, or sold, whatever.

The second was a rather unique, Australian assembled CJ6 LWB TWO wheel drive Jeep that was the commanding officers troop review vehicle. Wonder what ever happened to both of them?

Also, NOT related to the above, can anyone recall an Atkinson prime mover owned by MECHO constructions, again early-mid seventies? Again, was used on heavy haulage/float duties. Think it may have had a 335 Cummins, do remember it had Kirkstall Omega diffs from memory, massive weight rating, also huge Kirkstall front end. It may have even been fitted with either a 5X4 or a 4X4 twin sticker, was a long time ago. Was talking to someone or other about these built up 'special's' that often appeared before purpose built factory became the norm. That old NR Mack at Yass with the Bedford cab, Cummins engine and Spicer boxes came to mind, probably either made into soup cans now, or rusting away in someones back yard.

Speaking of made up old jiggers, fellow up around Castlereagh (NSW)way, had an NR Mack, still LHD, had a straight six GM71 in it. Alf Emmet? For some reason his name strikes a chord.

Would be interesting (for some of us anyway) to find out a bit more about some of these old jiggers.

Cheers, Dave 64

Please Log in to join the conversation.

10 years 4 months ago #144024 by
Replied by on topic Re: Info on RAAF vehicles
Hi Dave .. the Point Cook RAAF museum still has an early Autocar in their collection (not as good as a Pete though eh mate) and can usually be viewed on their display days...the 2WD Landrover could in that lot as well...

...the fella you're thinking of was probably Jack Ehret....he was a great tinkerer of old machinery and trucks...

...hope that helps....cheers mate

More
10 years 4 months ago #144025 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Re: Info on RAAF vehicles
Wasn't the MECHO Atki a big Cat engine? .... I know it featured in some ads in Truck & Bus back in the early 70s

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
10 years 4 months ago #144026 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Info on RAAF vehicles
I think the Mecho Atki was a Cummins/ Spicer setup, plenty about it in my book but I haven't got a copy handy. The big Kirkstall diffs were what made it work.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
10 years 4 months ago #144027 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Info on RAAF vehicles
WerkOrse
Gudday M8

RE:a big Cat engine

U may B think n of L Arhur they had the black cabd big A with the C@ donk n 8 wheeler me thinx pullin floats cartn C@ equipment off D wharf etc

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
10 years 4 months ago #144028 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Re: Info on RAAF vehicles
Thanks Fellows,
Filled in a few more gaps in my woefully neglected oz transport history!
Late father always said I would have been better off following the ponies around Flemington with a shovel!

Phil, that Jack Ehret, was he the bloke from Yass? Or from up Castlereagh way? Chap I'm thinking of used to have a bit of earthmoving gear, had one or two twin-power GM Euclid dozers, also water carts, and tippers, think he used to subbie to the shire councils.

Now you have me thinking about that 2WD troop review Air Force jigger, I would have been almost willing to bet money on it, now, not so sure. COULD have been something knocked up by Land-Rover. No doubt someone on here will know.

Have put out a few feelers to try and source Atkipete's book through the local library here, so far no go. Anyone by any chance have a photo of Lou Arthur's old 8 wheeler (other than in Atkipete's book?).

Cheers, Dave 64

Cheers, Dave 64

More
10 years 4 months ago #144029 by John D
Replied by John D on topic Re: Info on RAAF vehicles
RAAF had 10 Autocar DC7564 with GM671 and Allison auto's with rear mounted winch also had exhaust coming up through the middle of the bonnet, supplied in 1964.RAAF also had a fleet of 6x6 similar to above set up as tippers.

More
10 years 4 months ago #144030 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Re: Info on RAAF vehicles
Thanks John,
Was unaware of the 6X6 tippers, but now that you mention the exhausts sticking straight out the bonnet, that sounds about right. Wonder if any other than the Pt Cook museums example survived?

Dave 64

More
9 years 8 months ago #144031 by Dana8000
Replied by Dana8000 on topic Re: Info on RAAF vehicles

RAAF had 10 Autocar DC7564 with GM671 and Allison auto's with rear mounted winch also had exhaust coming up through the middle of the bonnet, supplied in 1964.RAAF also had a fleet of 6x6 similar to above set up as tippers.

John D,
Benalla 1976. One of the exhaust through bonnet Autocars you have mentioned.

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
9 years 8 months ago #144032 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic Re: Info on RAAF vehicles
Dave 64
One would think the NR Mack , 250 cummins , 4x4 Spicer, Bedford cab

that you refer to, would have to be the two Roy Behns Heavy Haulage jiggers.

They were a Euclid green sorta colour.
.............Billy..............

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.

Time to create page: 0.499 seconds