Skip to main content

Info on RAAF vehicles

More
9 years 8 months ago #144043 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Re: Info on RAAF vehicles

There was an ex military 2 wheel drive review Landrover on evilbay last year...really good condition, shiny black duco.[/quote

Old Yeller,
Thanks for that info re the "review two WD" Landrover. My mate up the bush in NSW assures me that The RAAF unit was actually a 2WD Willys "Dispatcher", 4 cylinder "Hurricane" engine, T90 3speed manual assembled by Willy's Motors (Aust), one of only 3 built here. Around 1960-64 vintage.

I have one here, but later (1975) with a 6 cyl AMC and auto sloshbox, currently doing up.
Cheers, Dave

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
9 years 8 months ago #144044 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic Re: Info on RAAF vehicles

D D, I think you are spot on

Lookin at the two sets of pics, the cab is higher from the tank & guards.

Now ...........why would that have happened?????????????

Could this be the culprit

What appears to be a top mount PTO on the Allison & the drive shaft that operates the walkin

floor & manure spreader.

Also notice the cab spacer & the old markins where the steer column came through the rubber boot.

..............Billy................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.

9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #144045 by
Replied by on topic Re: Info on RAAF vehicles
...yep, gotta agree .. good spotting billy, dieseldog 8-) 8-)

More
9 years 8 months ago #144046 by Mrsmackpaul
jee Billy looks like a farmer did the mod rough buggers arent we ;D ;D
So do you know if the truck is for sale or did you just stumbled across it while out and about ??

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

• BillyP
More
9 years 8 months ago #144047 by BillyP

Paul,
I just bumped into it, its about 30 ks inland from Deepwater Nth NSW.

They had a heap of stuff , but that was the only thing that took my eye .

I only spoke to the lady of the house to get the OK to take the pics, but by the way she spoke,

every thing would be for sale at the right price, (so ended the conversation)

It came from Rangers Valley Feed Lot west of Armidale. (that where it was used as a manure spreader)

there is a few more pics & a url on my thread . (DRIVE ABOUT TRUCK PICS)

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

More
9 years 8 months ago #144048 by Mrsmackpaul
thanks mate it sure would be something different to have in the shed I wonder if anyone has made a move on it yet or maybe they are all rubber neckers like me it looks the bomb though

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #144049 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Info on RAAF vehicles
Billy, I think you might have got disorientated in the back blocks - Rangers V is north of Glen Innes. Is the truck around Emmaville, or more likely Torrington ?(sound of banjos on the front porch)
Yep, remember seeing it at Torrington. mob reception at old mates home is bad so contacting him is difficult.
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by mammoth.

• BillyP
More
9 years 8 months ago #144050 by BillyP
Mammoth,
Yeah, your spot on , on both bits,...........just another brain fade.!!!!!!!!!!!

I realised my mistake, only after it was posted, knowin full well that some one would pick it up.

& Torrington is the spot. mob reception is a bit scattered as you say.
..................Billy................

More
9 years 8 months ago #144051 by 14B-Beaver
Going back to about 1969, I can remember passing Autocars, which I thought were the RAAF, but they were painted a Royal Blue. Were they later repainted Yellow.

Also, does anyone remember the tanker that belonged to the DeLuca Bros. They pulled for Caltex.

More
9 years 8 months ago #144052 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Autocars
Been following the posts about Autocars, anyone remember ABIGNANO's (later transmorphed into Abigroup) big Autocar float?
They had it especially ordered (from Crouch's I would think) delivered in early 1973. Replaced, or upgraded that old Red Flintstone Mack with the 711 and quad box.

Abi's had some gig gear around that time, had just taken delivery of a brand new Allis HD 41 and I think they also bought a new Drake 4 axle expandable to go with the Autocar. Not sure of the running gear other than I am almost certain it had the 6 cyl Cummins, 335 rings a bell, or maybe even the 380 industrial motor that they used in the Euclid rear dumpers?? It was also a twin sticker, probably Spicer, and had the extra heavy back end, maybe a 55 or 63 thousand Rockwell??
Chap by the name of Billy Fuller used to drive both the Flintstone and then the Autocar when it arrived. Bill would probably be well and truly retired by now, if still around.

This was when they had that yard besides the railway line at Pymble, on the old Pacific Highway just out of Hornsby.

Maybe someone can add a bit, or maybe even have a photo? Was quite a bit of gear in it's day, wonder if it survived?
Cheers, Dave

Time to create page: 0.567 seconds