Skip to main content

Info on RAAF vehicles

More
9 years 8 months ago #144033 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: Info on RAAF vehicles
Billy, there used to be one like that Parked at the back of Albion Park airport!
From memory the Blokes surname was Monahang (Spelling) Pretty sure I've got pic somewhere,
I'll see If can dig It out..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
9 years 8 months ago #144034 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic Re: Info on RAAF vehicles

This old Autocar........ that i spotted a month ago has an Allison...........6/71 Jimmy......

& looks as though the stack came up through the lid.

Could it be one of the RAAF Jiggers ????????

................Billy....................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.

9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #144035 by
Replied by on topic Re: Info on RAAF vehicles
yes Billy the exhaust attachment from the manifold to the outside world could go either upwards or down, and your pic shows the upward one still applied...but facing downwards probably for civilian registration purposes....

...and for that matter the head on (at least) a 6 inline could be put on so as the intake and exhaust were on the same side...the Beiderman has that arrangement, but your Autocar in the picture has these opposing as can be seen....

...the GM 2 stroke diesel was and still is a very efficient "modular" design of engine....pity about their fuel consumption

More
9 years 8 months ago #144036 by Old Yella
Replied by Old Yella on topic Re: Info on RAAF vehicles
There was an ex military 2 wheel drive review Landrover on evilbay last year...really good condition, shiny black duco.

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #144037 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Info on RAAF vehicles
Billy, the Army had some too. I did my apprenticeship at Denmac in Brisbane and they were doing a lot of maintenance/refurbs for the army, very early 80's, mostly the old ACCO's, but I remember seeing a couple of those Autocars, same spec, 6/71 and Allison and they had big Aluminium tippers on them.

I don't remember where the exhaust was, but I would have remembered if it went through the bonnet I'm sure.
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by bigcam.

More
9 years 8 months ago #144038 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Re: Info on RAAF vehicles
One of the RAAF Autocars is well on the way to a 100% restoration next door to me in Brisbane. it is owned by Bernie Tobin (Followmont Transport).

I will get a few photos.

Lang

More
9 years 8 months ago #144039 by Jake Brake
Rick Thege from Ballarat has a Autocar that once belonged to the RAAF also.
The truck is powered by a 6/71GM, did have a Alison but now replaced with a 13RR.
Ray

White the greatest name in trucks.

9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #144040 by
Replied by on topic Re: Info on RAAF vehicles
...the poor old Autocar has taken on something of an "SAR" appearance.. :o :o....

...what's the chances the winch was knocked into gear with the hook attached to somewhere around the front bumper ??......just idling away ............ ::) ::)

More
9 years 8 months ago #144041 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic Re: Info on RAAF vehicles
Yep, she has certainly taken on the SAR look, but I think you'll find the cab has been lifted...

More
9 years 8 months ago #144042 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Re: Info on RAAF vehicles

Dave 64
One would think the NR Mack , 250 cummins , 4x4 Spicer, Bedford cab

that you refer to, would have to be the two Roy Behns Heavy Haulage jiggers.

They were a Euclid green sorta colour.
.............Billy..............

Billy P.

Have a feeling that you could be right, Billy. From memory, Behn's came from around Revesby/Padstow area of Sydney?

If so, one of them definitely ended up in later years down at Yass, was parked on the right hand side southbound on the old Hume Highway, just as you did the right hand sweep near the swimming pool, before the straightaway where the old rail line crossed the highway, start of "Gasoline Alley". Sat there for quite some time, reckon it may have still been there as late as the big truck drivers strike in the late 70's. Where it ended up is anybody's guess.Cheers, dave

Time to create page: 0.533 seconds